Questions..questions and more questions

TimedCvr

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2016
I have found myself using this forum more and more than any other place that I have researched and keep finding myself back here for viable solutions to "everyday " questions that others have already answered or experienced.

Hi My name is Tim and I am located in Southern Colo - I have 4 Orphingtons - 5 Black sex lynks- 5 Red sex Lynks and now down to 1 White Wide breasted Turkey...

Even though these forums are pretty much dedicated to chickens ( which I have used a lot) and raising chickens is completely new to me . I want to thank BYC for their tremendous volume of invaluable information across the spectrum as a whole . On the down side I wished there was a stronger knowledge base on Turkeys . On that note . I have a Turkey who is not even a year old had bumble foot took care of it and I am struggling with answers to get him back on his feet. I am not sure where to post at this point. I am at the cross roads after hobbling his feet due to what appears as splaying one foot while the other is healing verses when to attempt a sling. And for how long. If somebody could start me in the right direction on where to start a thread I would be eternally grateful.
Sorry I had to start somewhere.
Thanks for your time and I look forward to meeting with each and everyone one of virtually on here !

Sincerely , Tim

Hi :welcome Tim

Glad you could join us here! How do you find your Orpington's? I have some bantam ones in the incubator right now but I've not had them before so your thoughts would be appreciated. As for your turkey troubles you can pop by the turkey section. Here is the link to start a new thread in ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/20/turkeys
I'm afraid I'm not a turkey keeper but I'm sure the keepers in that section should be able to help you.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Hi Yorkshire !!

Simple answer .. I got the "BUFF" Orpington's at the Co-op just after Easter holiday's last year -

People have sworn by them on here that they are passive and very sociable- I strongly disagree

They are NOT passive they are ANTI social and they have gone after both breeds of red and black sex links pecking , cornering and fighting with all birds - ALSO they had been Chasing the Turkeys ( I had 2 back then ) running up behind them and spend the entire day plucking feathers of these huge birds - mind you they have a full yard to go and do whatever... I really don't care for them ..Once separated from the rest of the flock everybody is happy and no more problems The Turkeys and Orpington's were the same age and brought into the chickens who were then just a month old ( 4 weeks) - And it seemed that for obvious reasons that the Orpington's were like brothers and sisters throughout and would nest and sleep together. But now we are coming into almost April and they will be almost a year old. And they are very seemingly neurotic with these Orpington's that they are and have been caught trying to start the routine of cannibalism.. They went after the butts of the turkey's and did in fact take meat ... and had to spray down the birds - but they would continue to pluck those poor big birds and the turkey didn't care what the ( sisters) did to them - plucked from their necks their wings - it was ridiculous. Anyways I am sorry --
I would have never thought I would be so negative about those particular chickens - It amazes me why I Felt like I was the only one who had chickens tearing each other up while everybody else had very social birds ....This has been a fight from the get go.

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the Turkey link - !!

Hi Tim and welcome to BYC. Glad to hear that BYC has been useful to you in the past, and i hope that it continues to be so.

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom