questions

Kenzie22

Chirping
Oct 2, 2021
My first ever batch of chicks are about to hatch (Friday-Monday is when they should be hatching!) What all do I need to buy at Rural King for them? What should I get to put them in once they are done in the incubator, heat source, bedding, and anything else that I might need!

Bedding, chick feed, a heat lamp. Feeder and waterer. Some people put electrolytes in their water to help out the chicks. Chicks are fine without food and water 2 days after hatch as they still have nutrients from the yolk. I’d recommend putting water in there first and then the food a day later. Hatching chicks is so fun and rewarding. Try feeding them out of your hand so they can get used to you. I find that all the chicks I’ve hatched out have always been friendlier than ones from a hatchery. Have fun!

okay, and what bedding is good for them? what kind of heat source should i use for them? and i will try feeding them out of my hand!!

okay, and what bedding is good for them? what kind of heat source should i use for them? and i will try feeding them out of my hand!
They can start out on flat paper towels for a few days and then transition to pine shavings when they start to eat and drink well and make a mess. I stay away from the fine pine shavings and look for the medium or larger flakes so they don’t try to eat them as much.

Heat lamps or brooding plates are both popular sources of heat. Start out with temperature at 90-95 degrees at their level and make sure they have plenty of space to get away from heat if they are feeling hot. If you use a heat lamp, you’ll need to raise it each week to lower the temp about 5 degrees at a time and make sure it is secured well because it can be a fire hazard if it falls into flammable material.

There are many ways that work well.

I use a wool hen for heat.
For the first few days, maybe a week or so, I like puppy pads as (or instead of) bedding, a bathtub and cardboard box for a container, and the round waterer that works with a canning jar. I used a quart jar until I figured out I like the pint better but I checked them often. I used the round six-hole chick feeder that works with a canning jar for 11 chicks but I detest it - next time I will rig up some sort of homemade dish.

I aim for as stress free as possible so do not try to pet them or get them to come to my hands or reach down at them. My hands are there, slowly moving or not moving. The chicks are used to them and will hop on and off all the time.

Fresh, clean water and chick feed. And a box or brick or chunk of wood or such to set the feeder and waterer on if needed to get it high enough that they don't make as much mess in them - up to about even with their backs.

Back
Top Bottom