Questions

HandsomeBuff

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 29, 2007
So I have been thinking of having my own chickens at home as well as my girls and boys at work. So here's the questions, I live in town, anybody else live "in" town and how has that worked out for them? And, just out of curiosty who's from Maine? Anybody?

Hi Buff! I live "in town" with chickens and its GREAT! Our kids love them, our neighbors are cool with them and if they laid a zillion eggs I'd still have no shortage of people who wanted some! That said you should find out if they are allowed in your town and by your neighborhood association(if you have one). If they are, go for it! If not you might want to just enjoy them at work. Some do have them illegally, it depends on your risk tolerance IMO. (Mine is low.)
Also I would recommend limiting yourself to hens. You really want to stay in your neighbors good graces by keeping your operation clean and quiet.
Chickens are so much fun! Enjoy!

Mary

I am an american living in Holland. Chickens in "your backyard" and within city limits is common and quite a well known hobby here. In the USA where the legalities seem to be at odds (due to the fact that chickens legally are restricted to a "food status" animal and therefore when one has them as PETS and wanting to medicate as such to prolong their lives then this will sometimes bring conflict with the veterinarians as to whether some medications are allowed) ... here in contrast the birds are excempt from any eventual restrictions laid upon the chickens destined as food sources (egg/meat). Whew... that makes having them as pets a LOT easier I can tell you!!! I have three roos and three hens now...as long as I can keep my roos from crowing their heads off at ridiculous hours my neighbors dont complain (mine start to crow at sunup but I keep them in the coop till 7 am and have the coop insulated with that special sound foam so the crows are dulled. I have a whole apartment building behind me full of retired folks (thank goodness their hearing is somewhat impaired
big_smile.png
) and I see them often watching my birds and they comment on them (nice comments lol) when we meet on the street. It is a nice way to meet your neighbors. I have one neighbor who is an old stick-in-the-mud about the roos but that is because he works night shift and the crowing during the day wakes him up.

Last edited:
I have chickens in the city too. Literally two foot to the left of my chicken run is where my neighbour's garden starts. It's great, because the neighbours see it as something nice for their kids to see
smile.png
They've even looked after them for me, and there never seem to be enough eggs to keep everyone supplied who would like to be supplied. Even if my garden was at capacity for them, there'd still be more customers. I just stick to hens, and they don't free range and the neighbours are fine about it. Apart from the neighbours directly next to me, who can look over their fences and see them, no body knows they're here until I tell them
big_smile.png

Just keep em clean and quiet and you're be fine.

You can check out if they're legal in your neighbourhood at www.municode.com

PS What do you do for a living?

I'm in a subdivision, though we have over 5 acres. And, while the by-laws state no poultry, I have friendly neighbors, no rooster, and give away eggs whenever possible, so everyone is happy.

By the way, what part of Maine are you in, HandsomeBuff? We have a summer cottage (shoebox size!
lol.png
) in Scarborough near Pine Point.

I live in the Central Maine (Fairfield) area mudhen, on one of the lovely little side streets, and I don't think it's going to be a problem, because there is a halfassed farm (if you wanna call it that) up the road and he has ducks and chickens and pigs. Now I just need to convince the wife that they are cool pets. Her grandmother lived next to some people who had chickens and when she got on grams nerves she was told to go collect eggs in the coop, which she has informed me smelled horrible. I told her that they probably didn't clean it well, and that are coop with 21 hens and 3 roos at work smell fine, I'll work on her though, she told me I get them she gets a goat.
V Chic Chick I work at a school for behavioral students who cannot handle a normal school setting, we have a 20x30 greenhouse and the avian program as extra hands on programs for them. It's a fun job and the kids love the chickens (minus the dinkus rhode island roo).
I am really glad I found this placep, thanks for all the input friends!!
cool.png

It's great to have you here!

Funny that she thought the chickens stunk but wants goats, from what I've heard goats are SUPER stinky.
big_smile.png

But, then, i have never owned goats myself....
hmm.png

I live in a very suburban area on a 1/4 acre & I have 8 laying hens. They are great pets, way better than I'd imangined, plus they lay those delicious little treasures!

For those living in true urban areas, you can always keep a banty hen or two as a house-pet. Though, you really have to keep on top of the "dust".

Regarding your situation, is you wife into foo-foo stuff (ie teddy bears, lap-dogs etc)? If so, then start out with a silkie or two, or a D'Uccle. After she warms to them, maybe get a Brahma - very sweet natured and well adapted to your weather.

After the Brahma, anything else will seem little and insignificant to your household so you'll be able to add anything you want!
wink.png

Besides, if she can't warm up to silkies or brahmas then it'll be a tough sell for the general principle.

-Frank

HAHA she is hardly foo-foo at all! She's very into animals and the outdoors, she just is kinda off about getting chickens. I'm working on her though, it will happen.

Back
Top Bottom