Questions!

madanesor

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Waterfowl- can you let them free- range, (geese, and ducks) or do they need a pen? What about turkeys, chickens, phesants, guine, or quail. What are domestic birds that you can let free range your land, and what kind of caging do you need for the other kinds?

Ducks yes, geese yes, but they can get VERY protective. Guineas yes mine however prefer the neighbors yards so when I need to collect eggs I lock them in a huge 20x40 ft run. My turkeys where out until my tom felt the need to take on several juvenile roosters and Lost. Now he and his mate are in a 10x20ft yard. Quail and pheasant NO, but they do great in large outdoor habitats. You must cover theirs or they'll be gone instantly. Hope this helps...

I can say that for turkeys and chickens, free range is a great idea. It's very healthy for them. Both get along with one another and always return to the coop come nightfall.

Square footage will vary depending on how many, of what type of bird you are asking about. If it is 100 chickens then you are looking at 400 square feet and 20 -25 nest boxes. Geese, ducks and turkeys do best with a lot more space.

A nest box is a box where hens nest to lay their eggs. You can encourage them to lay in it by putting golf balls or ceramic (fake) eggs in the nest boxes or in a certain spot you with them to lay in. It will take some time but, they'll find out what they're for.

Back
Top Bottom