Questons about having a broody hen hatch eggs! Tips appreciated!

Danny188

Songster
Jul 22, 2019
Iowa
I have a broody buff orpinton, this will be her first time hatching chicks, usually I would buy them but I dont want to have chicks shipped to me. I lost 6 chickens in a dog attack and I would like to hatch out 3 at least 3 pullets, if I get 7 that's fine, I will just sell the rest. So my question are, how many eggs can I put under her to hatch? I would like to put as many as possible because I am assuming half of them won't hatch, (I saw someone's statistics here on byc) and then half will be roosters. And can I let her sit on eggs tonight and add more tomorrow or will the days difference make something not work? If I can't do that how do I store the eggs today for tomorrow? She is sitting on 10 eggs right now as of 10 minutes ago she has been half broody for a while but I think if she spends a night in the nest box it will pin her to it, but she is definitely broody and I think tonite she will stay, if she doesn't I will take her off the roost and put her on the nest. Thanks for any help!

Back
Top Bottom