Quick and Easy Questions (Really).

try this link, look very near the bottom in the second column for Safeguard

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart

Here is the info they have, but I Like PeepsCA do not want to be held responsible

Fenbenzadole
Oral paste, granules, pelleted feed, powder, oral liquid Safeguard cattle, goat, dog or swine dewormer; Panacur dog or horse dewormer Benzimidazoles Most worms other than some tapeworms; nematodes of the GI & respiratory tracts
*Do NOT dose the same as non-bird species!
Dose: 2 Tbs per gallon drinking water, or 1-5 ccs orally
Repeat after 10 days.

The dosage for poultry of the liquid safeguard for goats is 3cc/gallon of water. Change their water daily, so if they aren't enough birds to drink a gallon of water you can use 1.5cc/1/2 gallon of water so not to waste the wormer. You dose this for 3 days, wait 10 days and repeat. This is what i've been told and have used and haven't had any problems. I've used this to worm chickens, guineas, and peas ( I bet you didn't know you could worm vegetables,did you). I would wait a month or two before worming your babies.

do you know the dosage for the Safeguard (panacur) that TSC sells for goats? I know some people use this same de-wormer for their guineas and I am going to wait until Spring which is around March to de-worm my 2 birds, but I need the correct dosage to put into the water. Catching the birds is not an easy task for me. They will come up to me but run when I put my hand out.

karen, if I have to catch a guinea, I wait until they're in the coop and it's dark (enough). They hate it just as much, but it's easier on me. For worming, which I haven't done yet, I'll take someone with me - one to catch and hold, the other to administer meds. I'm no pro like Peeps!!! I think she can catch a guinea, give meds, make coffee, eat a hamburger and vacuum the carpet all at the same time.
smile.png

karen, if I have to catch a guinea, I wait until they're in the coop and it's dark (enough). They hate it just as much, but it's easier on me. For worming, which I haven't done yet, I'll take someone with me - one to catch and hold, the other to administer meds. I'm no pro like Peeps!!! I think she can catch a guinea, give meds, make coffee, eat a hamburger and vacuum the carpet all at the same time.
smile.png
LOL, not quite, but I have caught (and de-wormed) many a Guinea. Many being an understatement. If I have to catch them in the daytime I use a wire cage or wire dog crate positioned in the corner of the pen or coop with about a foot or so of space between the cage door and the wall and use it like a cattle shoot to herd the oblivious birds in the cage and shut the door. Then I reach in with my hand going under the wings of the bird I need. They usually pile up in the corner and are climbing all over each other so they don't even feel that I have a hold them until it's too late, lol.

You must be psychic, Peeps. Just today I bought some pumpkin and put it in the yard for my flock. I don't know whether it worms or not, but my flock loved it. I'll find out before I give any worming medication, though. I don't want to overdo it.

Actually pumpkin is full of natural fiber, so if you feed it before and during de-worming it bulks out the gut making more of the gut surface exposed to the worming meds, thus killing/ridding the birds of more worms. It's healthy for them any time and the seeds supposedly do help with ridding worms, but I like the fact that the pumpkin flesh itself has the added benefit of bulking up the gut. I grow a lot of pumpkins, and just cut them in half and feed them to the flocks and they go to town on them. I've never used them as a substitute for an actual de-wormer tho, just as an aid to de-worming... or as a treat, any time. Same with the overly big giant zucchinis that I grow in my garden. They love them, and the seeds.

Last edited:
The chickens went nuts for them. The guineas were terrified, and wouldn't go near it. Thanks for the info above. I'm going to gather up the courage this week to worm them, and I'll buy them more pumpkin when I do. I don't know why I'm such a noodle about this - it's the right thing to do for them, I know. This must be what guineas feel like.."Oh no! Never seen that before! RUN!"

try this link, look very near the bottom in the second column for Safeguard

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart

Here is the info they have, but I Like PeepsCA do not want to be held responsible

Fenbenzadole
Oral paste, granules, pelleted feed, powder, oral liquid Safeguard cattle, goat, dog or swine dewormer; Panacur dog or horse dewormer Benzimidazoles Most worms other than some tapeworms; nematodes of the GI & respiratory tracts
*Do NOT dose the same as non-bird species!
Dose: 2 Tbs per gallon drinking water, or 1-5 ccs orally
Repeat after 10 days.
Important note:
I am the compiler of the PoultryPedia.com website & there may be a mistake in the dose amount I listed. I am suspecting I misinterpreted something to come up with the "1-5 ccs orally" dose.
I am currently researching this & will post verified info as soon as I can locate more. I am very sorry for any problem this likely mistake may have caused!!! I try to post reliably accurate information, & apologize if this was a mistake. I will update more within the next few days.

Important note:
I am the compiler of the PoultryPedia.com website & there may be a mistake in the dose amount I listed. I am suspecting I misinterpreted something to come up with the "1-5 ccs orally" dose.
I am currently researching this & will post verified info as soon as I can locate more. I am very sorry for any problem this likely mistake may have caused!!! I try to post reliably accurate information, & apologize if this was a mistake. I will update more within the next few days.

Although my research is w/o error, I've no ability to verify the accuracy of the informations obtained. However, the following may be of use to you ... among the reasons you're having difficulties may be the fact that the FDA has not aproved this drug for the treatment of roundworms in poultry.

Fenbendazole belongs to a class of drugs known as anthelmintics.
Veterinary formulations: Panacur
00ae.png
(Hoechst), Safe-Guard
00ae.png
(Hoechst)
Fenbendazole is available in 222 mg/gram granules, 222 mg/gram suspensions and 100 mg/gram pastes.

FDA prohibits extra-label drug use in feed; therefore all treatments must be administered via drinking water.
Follow all manufacturer recommended doses.
Consult your veterinarian for prescriptions and withdrawal times.

Table 2: Extra-Label Drugs Used for Treatment of Intestinal Worms via Drinking Water
http://www.healthybirds.umd.edu/disease/deworming birds.pdf

Fenbendazole, of the Cattle Safe–Guard brand, for Roundworms, Capillaria, cecal.

http://www.healthybirds.umd.edu/Dis...ication Programs fro Small Poultry Flocks.pdf
Dosage information for 'Other worms'
Fenbendazole
1 oz Safeguard or Panacur per 15-20 lb (Safeguard) feed for 1 day or 1.2 oz/100 lb of feed for 3 (Panacur) days. Dissolve the fenbendazole product in one cup of water. Mix this solution well into the feed and give to the birds as their only feed source.

The Merck Veterinary Manual [excerpt]
Home : Pharmacology : Anthelmintics : Benzimidazoles
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/191507.htm

Mebendazole, flubendazole, and fenbendazole can be used effectively against nematodes of the GI and respiratory tracts of birds.

PubMed [excerpt]
The effects of benzimidazoles on the larval stage of Toxocara cati in experimentally infected chickens
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19696725

It is possible that poultry reared outdoors and feeding in open range system, gain Toxocara eggs from soil and or by eating infected earthworms as paratenic host. The aim of the present study was to investigate the effects of albendazole and febendazole in experimentally infected chickens with eggs of T. cati by histopathological and digestive methods. Pathologic lesions were observed only in the untreated group and larvae were detected in brain of 3 chickens of this group by squash method. No larva was observed at histopathological level in liver, lungs, brain, cardiac and skeletal muscles and other examined organs of either treated or untreated animals. No lesion was seen in other tissues of the infected untreated chickens. Treatment resulted in disappearance of the larvae and disappearance of the gross and histopathologic abnormalities from their organs. No detectable difference was observed in chemosusceptibility of the two drugs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom