quick Coop question.....

pcappy2

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 22, 2012
DH had made me an excellent coop...8x10 , two windows and 4 nesting boxes that I can open
from the outside of the coop. He even used tin on the outside so it matches the other buildings.

My questions..........I don't think we need to insulate it, and I don't think I need electric. I live in Minnesota and it gets pretty cold. My plan was even to leave the front part open with just a screen as it faces south. I will use deep liter this winter and I put all the perching roosts above the nesting boxes with easy clean up underneath...its predator proof.

How am I doing? Have I got the basic's down?

Hi &
welcome-byc.gif
. I live in Michigan and have several pole barns for horses. Steel barns holds cold and feels like a refrigerator inside on cold over cast days. On hot days - they heat up and the steel is hot to the touch. Last year we built 2 coops we covered with pole barn steel but, they have shingle roofs. I love them but, they are insulated with 1 1/2" thick Styrofoam on the walls and ceiling. The coops also have windows on the south and north side for cross breeze. We also have added vents on the high and low side of shed roof that stay open year round. These insulated coops stay cooler in summer than outside temp and warm in winter. I would not want steel/tin siding on a coop without the insulation. Just my 2cents : ? )

You would definitly want to insulate, You could use therma foil from farmtek.com. But i agree it would be like a fridge in winter and toaster in summer.

Back
Top Bottom