Quick Heads Up for Duck Folks on the East Coast U.S. - Storm

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
12 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
You may already be aware, but Hurricane Sandy is heading north. Those of you in the southeast probably feel it already.

It's just probabilities we are hearing about, but there could be loads and loads of water . . . . if your duck shelters are in low places, please come up with Plan B by tomorrow (or the day after, if you are farther north).

Take a look at some of the weather sites and decide for yourself. But big wind, big rain, and for some inland snow are likely.

We started getting winds and rain on Wednesday from Sandy. Still windy this morning and heavy rain all night. Sandy has been effecting FL (east coast) for most of the week. The eye is east/north east from us right now.

Luckily it's downgraded now from Cat1 (which is also minor) to a Tropical Storm

Here in New England we are being told this is going to be unusual for us. The storm is expected to head northeast then swing in northwest. Flooding and high winds are big concerns, and that often means electrical grid failure.

We are on the west side of a hill, so we don't have the same flooding concerns the coastal people do, but when five inches of rain falls, it can be a problem.

We are on an island, this brought rain and sustained 53mph winds, and 11-15 foot waves that the surfers love.

It's not Sandy that is making it ad, it's the artic font merging with it. Bad timing for the two storms. Plus coast NE is old infrastructure (lived in Boston). It needs upgrading desperately.

We are on an island, this brought rain and sustained 53mph winds, and 11-15 foot waves that the surfers love.
It's not Sandy that is making it ad, it's the artic font merging with it. Bad timing for the two storms. Plus coast NE is old infrastructure (lived in Boston). It needs upgrading desperately.
Desperately is the word. Farther inland, way farther, they're looking for snow. Here, we are just possibly going to get inches and inches of rain, and wind for 36 hours, based on computer models.

So, my beloved Duck Forum friends, if you don't hear from me after Sunday night, don't worry . . . but if you pray, or hold people up to the light (Quaker phrase), or send best wishes, I sure won't mind any of the above in any case. We have lost power in the last two storms of any consequence. And as CelticOaksFarm writes, the infrastructure is in need of some attention. Life without electricity at our place is still pretty nice, it just involves much more physical labor.

The ducks have a pretty snug spot, they might get bored if we have to hunker down for a couple of days, but we'll see what we can do to entertain them. A sing-along, perhaps.

I'll be thinking about you guys and hoping everyone makes it through the storm safely!
hugs.gif

I was wondering how the colder weather the storm will be bringing in might affect them, especially my broody since she's outside (with cover, no floor). Is it possible she'll lose the nest (eggs die)? If she does, do you think she'll come in with the other ducks or will she sit it through?

Back
Top Bottom