quick!! if i put my chickens in the garden

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nikischicks, Oct 2, 2009.

1. nikischicks

nikischicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    NE/Mid Ohio
    to clean up will they eat the rotten tomatos or will they pass them up for the good ones? I dont want to pick out all the rottens before I put them in there.

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    They'll eat anything red. Rotten or good. icky ones won't hurt them.

3. nikischicks

nikischicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    NE/Mid Ohio
    oh! ok then, out to transport from run to garden!! thank you!

4. Mr. Peepers

Mr. Peepers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    They'll eat anything and everything, and mine really like tomato seeds right from the tomato. They'll also eat any bug or spider or caterpillar, and anything with fruit or green leaves that they can reach. Before you let them loose in your garden, make sure that it's OK for them to eat everything there....because they will, or at least, they'll try.

5. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Oh, don't worry, they won't be greedy. They'll just take one bite out of each and every tomato [​IMG] I speak from experience [​IMG]

6. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    I picked all the tomatoes I wanted red, orange or milky and put them in the garage and spread them out on the tableand in tubs. I then let the ladies loose. They don't care if it is ripe or not they eat it.

7. KandJsmama

KandJsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Be careful, mine got into the garden by mistake (mine, not theirs) and ate everything down to the roots. You couldn't even tell I had planted. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by