Quick "just set my eggs" question...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by arlee453, Oct 22, 2007.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    After I place the eggs in the incubator, how long should I let it cycle before I decide whether or not I need to tweak the humidity and temps??

TIA

2. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    What kind of incubator, and how many eggs?

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

You should already have the temp where it is supposed to be BEFORE setting the eggs and after they are added it will pretty much go back to where it is supposed to be. If you don't already have it that way it will take a few hours at least for the eggs to come to temp and then you can tell if it needs adjusting.

4. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Thanks Kristin, that answers my question. It's been running steady now for 4 days, I'm just a nervous nelly.

I'll wait until bedtime and check my max/min temps before making any adjustments

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Arlee, wait till tomorrow before you do any adjusting. It will take time for all the internal egg temps to come up to the set bator temp.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I agree with Cynthia (although I am a worry wart of the worst kind when it comes to eggs).

7. speckledhen

YOU? A worry wart? Nah, must be someone else, LOL! [​IMG]

8. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Thanks Ladies... the temps are already coming up again between 98.7 and 100.4 so we're getting there...

(as I say to myself... don't touch, don't touch, don't touch...sitting on hands...)

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I will be a zombie by the end of 21 days. I woke up every 2 hours (an internal alarm?!?) last night to check my temps. Ridiculousness ensues when eggs are in the 'bator.

10. speckledhen

LOL, I sometimes wake up and check the bator at 3 a.m. myself. The Fridge-a-Bator is ready to go now that DH turned it on it's back and re-did the guts of it. It's holding rock-steady with temps 99.3-99.7 and humidity right at 70%. My four go in there on Thursday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by