Quick LGD question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KDOGG331, Oct 28, 2016.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So we don't really have a need for an LGD right now and plus a second dog is expensive, especially another big dog, but I was just thinking about LGDs the other day and thought of kind of a dumb question...

Can LGDs be trained to keep the animals on the property? Or would they just take off? Or is that more a herding dog job?

For example, if I got goats, could I let them roam in our woods and/or not fence them in and just let the dog hang out with them and bring them home? We don't really have predators here at least that would take goats so the typical LGD job isn't as necessary so I just wondered if that was possible instead.

We have about 3 acres, about half of which is woods, and the neighbors all own woods too, which connects into 2 pockets, but they never go in the woods. But there are neighbors literally right behind us, can see the houses, and we're in a condo/town home development though we're not a part of it. Together the pocket of woods is probably a couple acres, one pockets bigger than the other.

But anyway, I guess maybe in this neighborhood a loose LGD might be a bad idea? But maybe not? Would he take off or would he (or she I guess) be able to stay in the woods with them?

And also my original thought was not only keeping them in the woods but also even more strictly keeping them only on our property but I guess the woods all look the same to a dog even if I mark it?

Again, probably won't get one or if I do, not for a while, but was more just wondering. Not even just for this property but maybe if I ever move to a bigger place.

Speaking of which, besides just containing goats, can they be taught the perimeter in general and stay within it/patrol it on their own? Or do they need to be contained?

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    In my opinion, fencing is the best option for small areas. If you lived somewhere open and had 500 acres, then it would be a different story. A loose dog in environment like yours now, BAD IDEA..
    WISHING YOU BEST.. [​IMG]

3. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Sorry, keep forgetting to answer hah anyway, thanks for the input :)

I think you're right, definitely a bad idea. I'm assuming because he or she would think the territory isn't big enough and go roam the neighborhood?

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The answer is no....LGD Dogs only protect....They can not herd Turtles.....Then you would need two dogs and Someone to direct the dog to bring home the sheep.....

Cheers![​IMG]

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.

We have never had an LGD, so no personal experience here, but did have neighbor's who had a Great Pyrennese - that thing was all over the place. It would be seen several miles from home. They never tried to cantina it. When I asked about it once, she said, "They need a lot of area. They will patrol whatever they decide is their territory." One day it wandered off and never came home... I don't know if they're all like that, or if this one was poorly trained.

6. chickens really

The reason why that dog wandered and the reason mine does not is, if you look at a flock of sheep that LGD dogs are with...They usually have more than one....My Boy prefers to stay with the flock and protect the yard...He never leaves...His instinct to guard is strong...He is a Barker....Others are patrol dogs and without training will patrol as far as they see fit...Then others are the ones that will chase down the wolf,coyote or what ever to ensure the threat is gone...They are more aloof with strangers...Not cuddle bugs but loyal to what is theirs.....I have a Maremma....I love the Breed.....

Cheers!

7. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for all the input everybody :)

I also wonder if the one that wandered had a flock to protect or was more bought as a "pet"?? Cause if he didn't have a flock he might be more likely to roam?

Although either way, it seems odd to me that they would let him roam. LGDs aren't exactly cheap (well I guess it depends?) And the flock/herd sure isn't so it seems to me they would want the dog protecting what he's supposed to protect? And aren't they supposed to have a protecting stay with the flock instinct anyway? I know if it was me I wouldn't want my dog, pet or guardian, running off to ditch the flock/leave the flock vulnerable to attack or getting killed or hurt out there...

Seems a bit strange to me

8. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Thanks, that makes sense :)

9. chickens really

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

The bonding operates to keep dog oriented on herd. That very important where herd can range over a large area where it is easy for dogs to become separated from flock. Failure to bond makes so dogs make not effort to stay with herd. Keeping the dog from killing is a process of regulating play and later predator instincts which is different from bonding. Regulation of killing is the only concern with the chickens. Since chickens not tight in herding or flocking over larger areas, the bonding process between dogs and poultry is not as important as simply having dog defend area poultry range.

The not a pet concept applies with keeping dog from splitting interest between humans and the herd it is to protect. That is not all that applicable when poultry are kept in close proximity to the household, especially if dog into getting out there on job when needed. If poultry kept well away from home and dogs needed to be tight on that location, then yes pet option needs to be suppressed.

For their size, they eat proportionally. They can make up feed short fall by scavenging and consuming vermin they catch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by