quick! one more question...

miniwarrior

Chirping
Feb 16, 2008
Austin, TX
and by one more I mean maybe a few:D

So, I've done my reading and research, but I think I just need one more "you're good to go!" I'm just so nervous- I want to give my broody hen some chicks and will probably be able to go pick them up in the morning.

Should I wait until tomorrow night to put them under her then? That would mean they are just hanging out until the evening time... (of coourse with a heat lamp and all)

Right now she is just in the regular nest box, which is a ways off the ground. Should I move her to her secluded area before I put the chicks with her or after?

Also, is it too cold to do this right now? I'm in TX and it's not too terrible but it has been raining a bit...

Sorry about all the questions! I'm just so excited about the possibility of getting more chicks and need a second opinion (or third, fourth, etc....)

Last edited:
hey
umm u might want to be patient with this activitiy.

from what i heard off breeders...
that you should put hens the same age as each other together...it is preffered. the younger ones get pecked around and bullied.

and apparently there is plenty of reports that the hen will kill the chicks if u put them together if it isnt hers.
well i havent tried this...
but u may want to double check first.

Thanks for the words of caution, eeiko. I do get overzealous sometimes. I think I will hold off for now, as I don't quite feel confident enough on this. I know there are people who have done this successfully, but I'm not really sure about the conditions that it works under. I do realize it is a risk for the li'l ones, though.

i think u should buy some books

i recall 2...one is raising baby chicks....
and the other one is incubating eggs...

im sure they will have something regarding this
since not many people are replying.

well ive got a 2 - 3 year old hen....and i bought another hen that is about 6 months old...which is practically full grown in size...
it gets pecked on like crazy.............

Back
Top Bottom