Quick Onset of Lameness

Littlebittydot

In the Brooder
May 23, 2023
Hello!

Yesterday I noticed our welsh harlequin duck Ravioli was limping and hesitant to come into the pen from the pond for bedtime. They could still stand at that point but on one leg, hesitant to put pressure on their left leg.

We inspected their leg and foot last night for bumbles, heat, redness, and swelling but found nothing.

This morning when we opened the coop Rav was laying down and could not stand at all. She still tried to move but could not seem to bear weight properly because of her left leg.

She still has energy and is drinking water. Her tail has been wiggling a fair amount so I think she may be quite uncomfortable and stressed.

She is now isolated inside with vitamin enriched water and a heat lamp. We have started her on niacin (1ml a day) and floats in the bath with Epsom (drinking the tub water might help flush any toxins just in case) but I was wondering what else I might be missing?

Should I prepare activated charcoal for a flush in case it is botulism? She isn't currently showing any weakness in her neck.

Could being egg bound cause lameness in one leg or is that too far of a stretch? She is still pooping a little and it is normal in color and consistency.

We also have meloxicam for pain and antibiotics in case of an infection but she is not showing any signs of an infection in her leg unless it is much higher up in the pelvic region?

Thank you for your help! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 16948827843804022809846209667109.jpg
    16948827843804022809846209667109.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Could being egg bound cause lameness in one leg or is that too far of a stretch?

YES , it can. An egg bound inside can press against a nerve.
When did she last lay an egg? Is her tail pumping up and down at all like shes trying to lay an egg?
Can you feel an egg in her abdomen?

To rule out eggbound as the cause you can start giving her 1 ml of calcium gluconate daily. It helps her pass the egg. The warm baths help too.
Im not certain but I dont think you should do another toxin flush now if you've already done one.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-09-16 14-15-10.png
    Screenshot from 2023-09-16 14-15-10.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 11
Could being egg bound cause lameness in one leg or is that too far of a stretch?

YES , it can. An egg bound inside can press against a nerve.
When did she last lay an egg? Is her tail pumping up and down at all like shes trying to lay an egg?
Can you feel an egg in her abdomen?

To rule out eggbound as the cause you can start giving her 1 ml of calcium gluconate daily. It helps her pass the egg. The warm baths help too.
Im not certain but I dont think you should do another toxin flush now if you've already done one.
I will definitely feel her abdomen and check to see if there is an egg. She is pooping but not a lot because I do not think she has eaten today or yesterday evening. Maybe a partial obstruction?

But you're right, definitely a good idea to rule out.

It is a bit hard to tell which ducks lay what eggs since she has four other ducks in her flock who lay white medium eggs.

I haven't seen the up and down tail pumping that would be expected but lots of side to side and she seems to be shivering.

Do you have drakes? I have had females injured from heavy drakes mating on land. What you are doing is exactly right. I try the calcium gluconate first. Then, I would assume an injury and give the meloxicam.

Do you have drakes? I have had females injured from heavy drakes mating on land. What you are doing is exactly right. I try the calcium gluconate first. Then, I would assume an injury and give the meloxicam.
No drakes (yet) but the ladies do enjoy having sapphic affairs with each other from time to time.

Just gave the calcium gluconate and going to give meloxicam in a little. Also long soaks in the warm bath in the AM and PM for now.

Thank you!

I will definitely feel her abdomen and check to see if there is an egg. She is pooping but not a lot because I do not think she has eaten today or yesterday evening. Maybe a partial obstruction?

But you're right, definitely a good idea to rule out.

It is a bit hard to tell which ducks lay what eggs since she has four other ducks in her flock who lay white medium eggs.

I haven't seen the up and down tail pumping that would be expected but lots of side to side and she seems to be shivering.
Ok, after massaging her abdomen it does not seem like she is egg egg bound but I gave her 1 ml of calcium gluconate just in case.

It is very good to know that being egg bound can impinge surrounding nerves causing lameness.

I wonder if you might be able to give fresh cilantro in water? It's known to be a detoxifier and antioxidant among other things. My ducks love it!

Back
Top Bottom