Quick pecking order question

Feb 15, 2022
What would happen to the pecking order of a small flock if the bottom of the pecking order was removed?

If detail is needed, I have one hen that is an outcast. She’s always alone and often picked on. She’s a Wyandotte and the rest are australorps and I am considering rehoming her to a flock that has more Wyandottes.

Intergrating a single is always hard, the flock will gang up on the newbie. Is the Wyandotte & Australorps started together? Ages? How many Australorps?

I research the breed's temperament when getting chicks, some breeds are more docile than others. I also get two of a breed ... I've noticed, others may not agree but "birds of a feather do flock together". Wyandotte's tend to stick together; considered a "docile" breed & tend to keep to themselves so what you're seeing is "normal".

Rehoming her to someone the has Wynadottes and familiar how to intergrate may work, OR make sure she has hiding places to get away from being picked on, OR isolate the trouble maker in a wire dog crate with food/water in the coop for a few days to a week, OR you could try adding another Wynadotte or 2 close in age, integrating as recommended ... See but no touch but it may not solve the problem.

What is the size of your coop/run? IF they're "cramped" that's where problems start too. It's been recommended 4sqft in the coop per chicken and 10sqft in the run per.

Intergrating a single is always hard, the flock will gang up on the newbie. Is the Wyandotte & Australorps started together? Ages? How many Australorps?

I research the breed's temperament when getting chicks, some breeds are more docile than others. I also get two of a breed ... I've noticed, others may not agree but "birds of a feather do flock together". Wyandotte's tend to stick together; considered a "docile" breed & tend to keep to themselves so what you're seeing is "normal".

Rehoming her to someone the has Wynadottes and familiar how to intergrate may work, OR make sure she has hiding places to get away from being picked on, OR isolate the trouble maker in a wire dog crate with food/water in the coop for a few days to a week, OR you could try adding another Wynadotte or 2 close in age, integrating as recommended ... See but no touch but it may not solve the problem.

What is the size of your coop/run? IF they're "cramped" that's where problems start too. It's been recommended 4sqft in the coop per chicken and 10sqft in the run per.
They are the same age (1 1/2 yo and have been living together since they were chicks) they free range and have plenty of space. She’s just a loner that gets picked on by her “sisters” and has chip in her shoulder - she goes after the new chicks.

Back
Top Bottom