Quick question about a behaviour in one of our ducks

Snostorm

Chirping
Aug 19, 2021
Hi all

So we have 3 Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks that are around 17 weeks old, we got them at 7 weeks old

One of the females seems to shiver (micro shake? Best way to describe it) her head whenever being given a treat like mealworms or peas for example. She's done it as for as long as we've had her, she only shivers like that when feeding her, we've been keeping an eye on her and seen no other signs of the shivering outside of those occasions.

Had a look for causes and none of the diseases sound plausible as she's shown no other symptoms of them.

Is it simply a case of her being excited? The other ducks don't shake so that's why I'm asking. These are our first ducks and they are 100% pets we love over anything else so want to make sure they are all happy and healthy 🙂

Picture of them to show their size/age

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_110759.jpg
    IMG_20210920_110759.jpg
    866.1 KB · Views: 11
BEAUTIFUL ducks. Excited for the win! DUcks definitely have a "vibration" factor sometimes.
Drakes will also display this behavior when trying to be dominate over another drake. So it's just a quirky behavior and completely fine. The fact that a female is doing it is no different.

My female Pekin would do this in the past to my wife, who she was not as comfortable with compared to me. Her head would shiver dramatically. Eventually it stopped, I think because she got more used to my wife. I think it might be a nervousness/aggressiveness thing. Could also be that they are excited. I would not be concerned though, and it may go away.
Beautiful ducks!

Thanks for asking this question. I had my 2nd drake doing this today & was going to ask about it myself. My 1st drake to do it was being fairly aggressive & trying to bite me when I tried to pet him or anytime my hand got close to him. I tried to put stop to that behavior, so thought maybe he got afraid of me somewhat or more like he was trying to hold in his aggression since he doesn't bite at me anymore.

Then today a 2nd drake did the shivering thing while I was feeding treats. And yes I tried to pet him while feeding the treat hoping he'd link yummy stuff to petting & not be so afraid of being touched.

My ducks seem to like me, they come running when they see me come out the door, wag their tails & appear to be happy to be around me, they just don't want to be touched. 😞😢

Back
Top Bottom