Quick question about night time roosting

Remove the outside roost.
Good morning! So hubs and I are having differing opinions about this. He thinks I should just leave it alone because they are smart enough to go inside if they are cold. I want them roosting inside now because it's going to get cold.
Is he correct that they will head in on their own? Or should I be locking them in like when they were young and we were training them? It sounds to me like you agree that they should be trained to go inside with winter setting in.

Good morning! So hubs and I are having differing opinions about this. He thinks I should just leave it alone because they are smart enough to go inside if they are cold. I want them roosting inside now because it's going to get cold.
Is he correct that they will head in on their own? Or should I be locking them in like when they were young and we were training them? It sounds to me like you agree that they should be trained to go inside with winter setting in.
Not likely.
Chickens need to be 'manipulated' to follow their instincts where you want them to roost.
So removing the higher roost in the run, think it's higher- pics would be good, should make them choose the coop roost.
But you also have the issue of maybe not enough coop space, and maybe ventilation.
You have to look at the whole system(coop and run) and know what they prefer and need.

Not likely.
Chickens need to be 'manipulated' to follow their instincts where you want them to roost.
So removing the higher roost in the run, think it's higher- pics would be good, should make them choose the coop roost.
But you also have the issue of maybe not enough coop space, and maybe ventilation.
You have to look at the whole system(coop and run) and know what they prefer and need.
We followed all specs found on this website including for ventilation, size of coop and amount of roost space needed. But.....there was no way to account for their preferences. The roosts in the coop are now higher than outside for sure. Not sure how we would fix the coop space without finding a home for a few of our 8 hens. And I'm fairly sure hubs does not want to build an entire second coop after the time and finances spent on this one. I know I posted some pictures but what specifically are you looking for so I can take more? Thank you!

My chickens prefer to sleep in the covered run. I moved the roosting area to the center so it is completely dry and less drafty. I am in Southeast TN and I have had no problems with that so far.

Did you have 8 birds to begin with?
The '4/10' rule of thumb is a minimum.
Yes, we had 8 chicks when we planned and built. I guess we assumed they would be spending very little time inside the coop and run (and this has definitely been the case!) since they have daily access to a fenced in 400 sq ft area with privacy fence, all tree covered and huge compost pile. They also free range in our good sized yard with lots of room and access to gardens and tree cover most everyday though we will scoot them back to fenced area if we leave. It is a rare occurrence they are locked in the run and even then we try to give them time out before we leave or try to get home soon enough to let them out before dusk. I've seen much smaller living quarters with happy chickens, maybe our's are just super spoiled?? Hahaha I am going to fully winterize the run. It will be covered on three sides with straw bales to help insulate. Building a larger coop is not an option right now but enclosing 75% or more of the run is doable. Hopefully this will help. Thank you for trouble shooting these issues with me. If you can offer more ideas to cover/insulate the run I would greatly appreciate it! I'll also head over to the coop forum to research more.

My chickens prefer to sleep in the covered run. I moved the roosting area to the center so it is completely dry and less drafty. I am in Southeast TN and I have had no problems with that so far.
Thank you! You most likely have milder weather in the winter but it's nice to know other chickens prefer outside too. Once the run is winterized I'll feel more at ease.

Back
Top Bottom