Quick question about roosters

MrsMommaJones

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
We have 12 pullets that are coming up on 10 weeks old. Recently we have noticed that one of out little cochin is getting a much larger comb and its deeper red than any of the others. it does not have tallons and it does not crow. Is this little "hen" a rooster?

We have 2 cochins, 3 rhode island red, 3 dutch bantam, 3 orpington and a sussex mix. none of the others have a comb like the black cochin but they are all between 9-10 weeks.

its not the best pic but it's a fast little chick lol

We have 12 pullets that are coming up on 10 weeks old. Recently we have noticed that one of out little cochin is getting a much larger comb and its deeper red than any of the others. it does not have tallons and it does not crow. Is this little "hen" a rooster? We have 2 cochins, 3 rhode island red, 3 dutch bantam, 3 orpington and a sussex mix. none of the others have a comb like the black cochin but they are all between 9-10 weeks. its not the best pic but it's a fast little chick lol
Hello and :welcome. I'm not real familiar with Cochins but that sure does look like a possible cockerel. Usually at that age and that much red showing up, and wattles growing like that, it usually points to boy. If you have questions, there are plenty of knowledgeable people here at BYC that can and will help you. :cd

images

Welcome to BYC!

It is very possible this is a roo, but some pullets can grow in their combs and wattles this early and red too. You might compare legs. Potential roos will have tree trunks for legs at this age. Pullets will have delicate legs at 10 weeks. Legs are a pretty good indicator before combs and wattles. You can also post this pic in our What Gender section for more info too...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Good luck with your new babies and we welcome you to our flock!

Ty glad to be here. I've made many visits and love the groups. Everyone has been very helpful.

I am really hoping he is a rooster. We thought his red speckled sister would be due to her attitude as a chick. Lol

Ty were having a hard time telling by the legs. They are exceptionally fluffy. Fluffier than our other cochin. :)

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 on post pictures in the What Gender forum, that is a lot of comb/wattle for a 9-10 week old Cochin pullet, you may have your wish and have a little rooster there.

Ty I will be reposting there as soon as I get a chance to hop on the PC. I was hoping that maybe one of our minis (Dutch bantom) would be a rooster too but I don't want them to fight. Then again I'm not even sure they are really chickens lol j/k. They are extremely tiny though. At 9-10 weeks the smallest one "Tiny" just barely fills my palm. But hey, who cares if they will never be great egg layers or give anymore neat than the average chicken nugget, they're cute right?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom