Quick Question. Me Being kinda slow....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by muscovy94, Mar 31, 2009.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey I have a quick question. I know this might sound kind of lame, but it will bug me if i don't ask it.....

On all of the stuff i have read on this site, it said not to open the incubator during the last 3 days of incubation on waterfowl. What if the humidity goes down and i need to add some water? can i open it to put some water in or should i just leave it be?

Thanks.

2. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    that's a good question I'm going to be doing my first hatch and I was going to ask this too.
    I'm getting 6 BC maran eggs and I want to do the best I can with them

3. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Some people use fish tank tubing, or another kind of small tube and use a medicine syringe to add water. You can put the tube right through the vent hole and not have to even open it. Ive tried it, its not that hard. I think a straw would be easier though. Especially a McDonalds large straw. [​IMG]

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    You are probably wanting to add sponges or something like that?

the reason to not open it is to prevent heat and hum% loss..

but in your case, you are going to imediately raise the hum% very high right away.. so if your bator has a quick heat recovery rate, I do not see the harm..

what you could do though, is put the sponges ahead of time, just do not soak them until the last 3 days.

then use the the tubing method and you are good to go..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by