quick question

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Bring, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Bring

Bring Songster

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    My neighbor has three guineas. 1 white, 1 pearl, and 1 lavender. The lavender guinea is growing horns?? and has a really bluish, purple face compared to the others. Do you think it's male?

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Songster

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Yes, it is usually males that get the horns, but to be sure you have to hear it call. The females go "buck-wheat" and the males are just noisy and squak or honk or whatever they call it. Sometimes my Guineas all look alike, and have to upset them to get them to make noise, which is not hard to do they alarm all the time. HenZ

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Horns?? I don't think any of mine have horns? Do you mean the pointy thing on top of the head? They all get that, though the males are supposedly bigger.

4. Is there any way you could get a pic on here ?

ALL domestic Guineas grow a "helmet" or hard material that looks like a large thorn from the top of their heads.

Some Guineas, depending what color they are do have a slight variation to the color of thier face.

The Lavenders are known for this.

There are exoctic Guineas that have the very large helmets, but they are NOT the domestic kind and are VERY expensive. They have the nice blue colors too.

Here is a pic of an African (non domestic GF)

[​IMG]

5. damselfish

damselfish Songster

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Rimshoes, you have the coolest guineas ever!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by