Quick! Questions you wish you could ask a vet?

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
I found a vet who treats chickens only 15 minutes from home!!!! :bow I'm bringing with me 6 fresh fecal samples from the flock (about 75-ish birds total) for a worm test, as I suspect threadworms are rampant.
I have an appointment in ONE HOUR --- I'll have the vet's ear for a short time and a list of questions and topics to discuss. In case I've missed something, what questions would you ask your vet if you could?

How to treat coccidiosis that isn't improving with daily corid and probiotic in drinking water, mine are still having foamy yellow and/or bloody mucous poops. I have a vet nearby who is supposed to call me back later today but I'd love to hear another opinion!
I'll ask! That is one of my general questions to ask - about coccidiosis.

I'll ask! That is one of my general questions to ask - about coccidiosis.
Thank you so much, I'm still confused about how they got it so bad. I keep everything so clean in the coop/run that my husband makes fun of me and moans about how often he has to dump the waste cart. They get lots of time on grass too in different parts of the yard throughout the day so it's not like they've been living in a plastic bubble either. Grr!!!!

I would ask if they do necropsies and if so what the cost is for a chicken??
My vet has that ability, although he declines due to the need for different panels depending on the situation, and he would have to order certain panels as needed. It's better for the owner to send their bird to their state lab, where they will do all the panels necessary or whatever is ordered. It's faster that way, and cheaper.

How to treat coccidiosis that isn't improving with daily corid and probiotic in drinking water, mine are still having foamy yellow and/or bloody mucous poops. I have a vet nearby who is supposed to call me back later today but I'd love to hear another opinion!
My vet said he would refer to a guide for other medications. I am very sorry - I thought he said an acronym like anada or ranad or narad, but I cannot find it for you! The gist, though, is that a different treatment would be needed. Refer to your vet.

Back
Top Bottom