1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quick Tip #1 Reusing Egg Shells

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pax12, Jan 13, 2013.

1. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    Save money by reusing egg shells to give back to your chickens.

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    My grandma used to collect the egg shells in a old coffee can on the cooler end of the wood cooking stove(to let them dry). She ground them up with some old wood tool and threw them in with the feed.

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

We just throw them into the run as we get them, no preparation necessary, and none of our hens are egg eaters. The girls can go find their eggshell pile whenever they want eggshell instead of oystershell calcium.

4. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    I actually cook our eggshells to feed back. I know a lot of people don't bother, but have you ever smushed up baked eggshell with a wooden spoon? It's very therapeutic. I cook them in a metal bowl, just throw them in while the oven is cooling off after cooking, and then set the bowl on the counter with a wide wooden spoon in it. Everybody takes turns crunching them up as they sit at the bar while I am cooking or they are eating breakfast or whatever...just crunch eggshells and chat, lol. Fun times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by