Quick way to rehome an entire flock??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kara_leigh

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Bradleyville, MO
We currently live in south Missouri. My husband is going to be interviewing for a job in Houston, and if offered he will accept it. The problem is, he will most likely have to start down there soon, they won't wait for us to list and sell our house, so we will have to live in an apartment down there until our house up here sells. Until then, no one will be here to take care of my chickens, and even once the house sells there is no guarantee that we will be able to buy property that I can house them down there.

It breaks my heart, but I will need to rehome all of them before we move. Does anyone have any ideas on how to rehome my entire flock - 10 grown hens, including one who is broody with 9 ten-week old chicks, and a group of 13 two-week old chicks. I could try Craigslist, but there is no guarantee I will find someone to take them...and then what? Any suggestions?

I'd wait till he accepts the job and starts working before rehoming the chickens. Most likely if he gets the job and they want him to start right away, someone will have to take care of packing up your house, working with a real-estate company to list & sell the house... I have had friends in the same situation. The spouse with the new job, relocates immediately, starts work, finds a new home, etc... while the other spouse takes a week or two to close up the old home, get school records transfered for the kids, copies of medical records, prescriptions filled, oversees any updates/minor repairs to the house in order to sell it, etc... This will give you time to find good homes for your chickens and not be so rushed. If he doesn't get the job, you'll still have your chickens. In this economy, I hope that he gets the job.

Is their anyone that lives in your area that can take them for you? Maybe another BYC member looking to expand their flock? Also, look into 4H - there may be kids who need chickens for their projects or they may know someone in your area that can & will take them.

Good luck

I he is offered the job, he will have to give at least a two week notice to his current job, and we can get all that stuff done in that time. Leaving me behind to do it really isn't an option b/c I can't drive, so I need to move down there with him. From the phone interview they seem to want him, but he just needs to do an in person interview first. If not that place, though, he has other places that want to interview him, just in different states. I do plan to wait until he accepts a job offer to give them away, but likely I will only have a short window in order to do so.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:
We are in the same boat. We live in Northern MO, but my husband may get transferred to TX soon. We are taking our girls with us. Just 10 months ago, we moved from PA to MO when he got the job here. He came ahead of us, and we traveled across the country after the house was sold and packed up. My son, who is 21 drove, and so did I. We brought multiple pet reptiles, and 4 giant dogs with us. This time, my son is back in PA, and won't be coming. My hubby will come back up from his job when the time is right, and help me drive the animals down. We will have goats and chickens in a trailer, in a home made built containment. The dogs will all be with me in my SUV, and our pot bellied pigs and reptiles will be in the back of hubby's SUV. Is there any way you can bring them along? Is there any way you can stay in MO until he finds a house your chickens can live at? Just offering ideas. I hate to see you have to give up your chickens.

I'd be happy to give them away for free if someone will take them. I already found a new home for my 3 ducks.

I would take all the chicks, but I live in Florida. Can you ship them when they are that old?

What kinds are they? Hens... roosters...?

Last edited:
Saw an ad locally on craigs list same type problem you have they sold the coop run and chickens for a real cheap price the only reason I didn't jump on it I did not have a truck to haul it home in or a trailer hitch on my current vehicle to haul a trailer with.....

The baby chicks are a mix...3 Buff Orpington pullets, 3 Golden Comet pullets, 2 straight run Welsummers (pretty sure they are both pullets, but not sure), 2 straight run Silver Spangled Hamburg (I think one pullet and one cockerel based on size, but too early to tell for sure)...and either 2 Rhode Island Red pullets and 1 mystery red chick, or 1 RIR pullet and 2 mystery red chicks, I can't remember what I got in those last ones. The single one is a bakers dozen he threw in for free at the end.

My bigger chickens are a mix of breeds - 3 black sex links, 1 Black Australorp (VERY sweet), 1 Silver Laced Polish (VERY sweet), 1 black/brown Easter Egger, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Polish/Ameraucana mix. There is also 1 Light Brahma/Ameraucana mix who is very sweet, but she is broody and raising 9 ten-week old chicks. They are= 1 Buff Cochin bantam pullet, 2 Golden Sebright - one pullet, one cockerel, 2 Easter Egger pullets - one blue, one lavender/wheaten, 1 black Ameraucana, 1 black tailed white Japanese bantam pullet, and 1 Ameraucana cockerel who is already showing to be a perfect well mannered roo, and he is BEAUTIFUL!

All of my chickens are healthy, parasite free, and friendly...although some are a bit ornery. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom