Quickly becoming a chicken addict

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by grannybones, Apr 14, 2009.

1. grannybones

grannybones New Egg

Apr 13, 2009
    I have been reading this site for weeks and decided I had to join. You all seem so nice and are good to each other.
    I am not new to chickens, but I haven't had any for years. It seems like a whole new world with so many choices!
    I currently have approximately 135 three week old mixed heavy brown egg layers -- a mix of straight run and some RIR roos. Tomorrow I'm going to start the sorting of definite pullets from definite roos. The rest will have to get a little older to tell. Of the breeds I know that I have--RIR, black australorps, cochins, columbian rocks, and EE's. There are also some mystery ones!
    I came upon BYC while looking for coops to build. My husband and I like to build and remodel, so we figured we would build a coop and a chicken tractor.
    We have a farm, so I garden and can a bunch of food for our large combined family. We both lost our spouses, found each other, and combined a total of 7 children (all adults now). The Brady bunch has nothing on us!! Add to that, 4 grandkids, one old dog, and some barn cats.
    We also like to camp, hike, and bike. We are retired- me from surgical nursing, he from UPS.
    Soon, I'll post pics of my chix. For now I am enjoying your pictures and stories.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca

Glad your here many of use need advise from more experienced folk and there maybe folks you could get advise from.

3. realmofthewoodsranch

realmofthewoodsranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Palintowne, Alaska
    Hello from Alaska! [​IMG]
  4. jeffro29

jeffro29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    southeast nc
    [​IMG] from nc it is fun here with other chicken addicts!
  5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
  6. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm glad you decided to join BYC. I look forward to hearing about your coops and what breeds you have in your mix.
  7. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    [​IMG] from MN!
  8. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
  9. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    [​IMG] from Alabama, Thats alot of egglayers !
  10. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by