Quiet chicks...should I be worried?

mshirk

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Sammamish WA
Two years ago I raised 3 Buff Orpingtons, and they were SUPER loud compared to my 5 (1 buff, 1 light brahma, 1 barred rock, 2 ameracauna's) I picked up this morning. They are all eating, drinking, scratching, stretching, sleeping, and seem fine when I pick them up and check them out for pasty butt, etc. I keep going out to the garage thinking they've all dropped dead!

Should I be worried? I keeping thinking I'm going to wake up to dead chicks in the morning. I've never heard of chicks that peep so quietly and rarely!

Just make sure they have their needs met. Food, water and a warm cozy spot and all should be good. Count your blessings if they are quiet, they may not stay that way.

I've found (in general) chicks are quiet when they are happy. Water full, lots of food, nice and warm. Wood chips in their water, food getting low, they start the alert. I have a brooder 5 feet from me with 20 chicks in, and not much noise at all. I was brooding bantams 2 months a go, and I could hear them from the bedroom. Buggers would wake me up in the night.
It also depends on the bird. I had a little bantam that was a complete foghorn. It would cheep constantly, VERY loud and would usually set its friends off, lol.

Back
Top Bottom