Quiet Clicking sound

AllForGeorge

Hatching
Apr 10, 2021
Hi Everyone!

I am new to the chicken world and picked my first flock of baby chicks on Wednesday from a local hatchery! I am so very excited to watch them all grow!
Overall the chicks have a lot of energy and are eating a drinking well! They seem to be VERY full of life which I am thankful for!
I do have one concern though, I noticed that when I hold 2 of the chicks, I can hear a very very faint clicking sound every so often. It is so faint that you can barely hear it even if you are holding the chick up to your ear. The sound is not regular and seems to come and go. I am worried that there may be a respiratory concern of some kind but I also don't want to overreact. They are not showing any signs of distress (open mouth breathing, consistent sounds, fatigue, etc).

I just wanted to get some input on this, if this is something that I should be super concerned with. I am not sure if chicks make "mouth noises" and maybe that's what it is? I am not sure! Any input would be much appreciated to keep my girls healthy!

thank you!!!

WOW I didn't know that!!!! Now that you say it, they are very relaxed and happy when this noise occurs. It happens when I am rubbing their legs or their bellies and they start to fall asleep! I will still continue to keep an eye on them though! Thanks for the response!!!! I appreciate it!

Watch them closely. That can be a sign of respirator distress and fluid in their lungs or trachea. I have lost chicks that exhibited that symptom.

Back
Top Bottom