Quiet guinea fowl

I thought this thread would be related to my issue as I have one guinea fowl that's not making any noise. I wonder if there's anything wrong but he's actively eating.

I've had guineas for years and it really depends on their personality. I have had a couple that are more quiet and reserved and others that are obnoxious. Usually if a guinea is quiet I check to make sure they're eating and are still energetic and are acting the same.. if they are I don't worry. Just count on them being really noisy and make sure your neighbors are OK with them before you buy them... because they can be a real nuisance to those who don't appreciate the birdies. Guineas can and will roam up to 1/2 a mile or more away from home, but will return. Mine love to go play in the corn/bean fields in the summers and go visit neighbors down the road. Currently I only have 2 guineas and it depends on the day... some days they keep to themselves, other days they're on the back porch looking in the windows carrying on. They're both 3 years old so they're more mellow and laid back. Younger guineas (especially under 1 year) are much, much louder as they make racket because they've found something new (and EVERYTHING is new to them... several times). I have also trained mine to go to their coop to roost in the evening at 5 pm so my neighbors (and I) can have some peace and quiet from them :) Good luck and I hope you do get some, because they really are a joy!

Ruby Redder - Would love to learn about your technic for training Guineas to go in to roost around 5 PM. I have done this with some success - but will start over again soon with new birds added to the flock. I had mine doing pretty well with our electronic door but had a massacre of about a dozen while away on a trip. There were a few "boys" that probably kept his buddies out late. It hurts the feelings to loose the birds.

I am not always at the ranch so since the attack we have kept the birds in coop except for weekends and they are none to happy about it. Especially as the temps warm up.

We got them to keep the scorpions and bugs at bay so it is time to let them free range again.

Thanks - Will probably start a thread on this to get great input.

Great idea for the thread.. Guineas usually get pretty grumpy when they're penned in because they're such high energy birds. Basically what I did was learn that white millet seed is "guinea crack." I started giving it to my keets when they were about 8 weeks old.. and at first they wouldn't touch it but they soon learned they loved it. Every time I'd give them this treat I would shake an old can with some of it in it and call "guinea, guinea, guinea" and give them the treat. They've eventually caught on that every time they hear this to come immediately, I don't even have to give treats anymore (but I do because they're spoiled). And if they chose not to listen I herded them into their roost with a small branch to keep them together, guineas are super easy to herd.. unlike chickens.

I learned that you have to be home ALOT because if you miss a couple days of training they tend to forget and I had to start back a square one almost. I've finally got mine in such a routine by doing what I said above every day at approx. 5 pm that they just go in and roost now because it's bed time for them.

Hopefully it works for you and if you have any questions feel free to ask!!

Great idea for the thread.. Guineas usually get pretty grumpy when they're penned in because they're such high energy birds.  Basically what I did was learn that white millet seed is "guinea crack."  I started giving it to my keets when they were about 8 weeks old.. and at first they wouldn't touch it but they soon learned they loved it.  Every time I'd give them this treat I would shake an old can with some of it in it and call "guinea, guinea, guinea" and give them the treat.  They've eventually caught on that every time they hear this to come immediately, I don't even have to give treats anymore (but I do because they're spoiled).  And if they chose not to listen I herded them into their roost with a small branch to keep them together, guineas are super easy to herd.. unlike chickens.

I learned that you have to be home ALOT because if you miss a couple days of training they tend to forget and I had to start back a square one almost.  I've finally got mine in such a routine by doing what I said above every day at approx. 5 pm that they just go in and roost now because it's bed time for them.

Hopefully it works for you and if you have any questions feel free to ask!!

Saw someone nearby trying to rehome 4 of them so I may take those and give them a try! We will see!

Generally, hens are louder than the boys. Mine always have something to talk about! As for teaching them to roost, it is a process, one best started as keets but not impossible. First you have to keep them cooped for a while. Do you have a red or colored light in the coop? II have one on a photo sensor that goes on a bit before dusk. That encourages guineas into the coop as they do not see well in the dark. This leads to night terrors.

BAck to the training.... Once they have been in for a few weeks (6, minimum) and you have been giving them a call and millet (So they recognize call or whistle with treat), then let a few out a little before dusk. Stick with them ans when time to coop up, do your call and treats in the coop. Keep this up for a few weeks - lots of time commitment, but after some time, they will put themselves to bed! I have an automatic door that closes 30 minutes after dusk, giving them lots of time to figure it out. Even so, when I have started with a new group, I tend to check after dark for a few days to be certain everyone has the idea.

For other tips, please feel free to download my FREE ebook on my website
www.fowlplayguineas,com

Good luck!

I just got some baby baby Guinea Fowls and one of them is soooooo loud, what can I do to make her happy and stop with the screeching? They have tons of water, they kicked out all their food they have tons of it, a heat lamp and a brooder with feathers. What else can I do? Also this is my first time dealing with them!

Attachments

• IMG-20200623-WA0010.jpeg
    IMG-20200623-WA0010.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 7
I just got some baby baby Guinea Fowls and one of them is soooooo loud, what can I do to make her happy and stop with the screeching? They have tons of water, they kicked out all their food they have tons of it, a heat lamp and a brooder with feathers. What else can I do? Also this is my first time dealing with them!
Sounds like the keet is unhappy about something. If they are new, and their needs for heat, food, and water are met, then they may just need time to settle.

Back
Top Bottom