Quiet pheasants. Tragopans?

Gamebirds1554

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2019
Hello!

I have been raising chickens for a few years now and have become interested in the various breeds of ornamental pheasants. I am looking for a quiet breed of pheasant that does not scream at 3 a.m. in the spring. Some of the other forums say that Temminck’s are rather quiet and can deal with cold winters. Any more information on noise level or other breeds would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Any of the Golden and Lady Amherst pheasants are usually quite. During breeding season they can get loud but not annoying. Elliot's Reeves, Copper's are quite. Chinese ring necked can be rather loud and at night if disturbed or a loud noise will set them off to cackling.
Never have raised any Tragopans, too hot here in South Texas for them to do well., so I don't know how loud their vocalizations might be... good luck with whatever pheasants you decide to keep.

Last edited:
Only aggressive towards me....the cock birds want to kill me everytime I go into the pens. Don't turn your back on them or you'll get spurred.

Thanks. Are the Elliots just as aggressive?
Mine are not, not aggressive at all towards me...moderately aggressive to the hens during breeding season but I prefer moderate aggressive males for breeding purposes as long as they are not overly aggressive. The fertility rate goes way up with a moderately aggressive male.

007Sean,

Thanks so much for all the wonderful information! I will have to look into the Elliot’s.

I have a pair of ringnecks and they have been fairly quiet. The roster only gets sorta loud when he “crows” but even then I do t find it to loud or annoying.
Most of the true pheasants can get pretty noisy. Especially if you have 100 or more cock birds cackling all at once! :lau

Back
Top Bottom