Quietly in Pittsfield MA 01201

rngrbill

Songster
8 Years
May 20, 2011
Louisville, the River City, Kentucky
Do I have any Pittsfield friends out there? or Berkshire county
cool.png

I'm not in Berkshire, I'm in Hampshire County, but that's only about a 30 minute trip. Was going to post for a Western Mass link, and found you here. Just started with the chickens this year and had my first hatch yesterday. Have you been doing the chicken thing long?

if yours are not laying yet, they should be soon. I don't even know what breeds I have, but I am having a lot of fun watching the dorky little things. My babies are now in a dog crate in my living room and was hoping someone from this area could tell me about temperature necessities before I put them out in the number two chicken coop. Too little to go in with the big girls, so made dh build me another house. You aren't too far away and I really wanted to talk to someone close by. Nice to meet you, keep me up to date with how yours are doing, please.

*sneaks over the thread border to wave hi to the Western MA peeps*

I'm a Pittsfield native born and bred, and still work there - I live over in NYS in East Nassau now, though.

*sneaks back out*

you have the same winter that we do on this side of the border, yes? If you've had your chickens for a winter season here, could you tell me how they do with the cold? My coops are insulated and air tight except for the windows, and the windows have shutters that I close every night, but worry about when it gets cold. It was 42 degrees this morning when I went out to open the doors for them, and they seem fine, but wanted to ask someone who has done this already.

Somewhere over this rainbow of chicken knowledge I posted a thread entitled "Brrrr". How cold is too cold. Got a couple of replies from MN stating that their long spells of -20 seem ok. the secrets are basicly draft free, low humidy, and plenty of food and water. The water is a difficulty. I use nipple feeders in buckets that I will be adding an aqurium heater too. There is a thing at TSC called a thermoblock that turns on an outlet at 35degrees and off at 45. There are two heaters one from PETCO that is 10 watt and raises the temperture 10 degr. above room temp. the other is from PETCO or Walmart 50 watt and heats the water to 78 degrees it is about $16. The warm water will keep them warm and may also help with the coop temp. Prob. it will also raise humidity which is dangerous. for the birds causing frost bite.
big_smile.png
Good luck fellow NEasters.

I had planned on getting the water heater, cuz I know it's gonna freeze, but wasnt sure about heat inside the coop. Have talked to dh about putting a heat lamp out there, but if somebody makes a heater, will have to go get one. Told the husband his truck might spend the winter in the driveway becuase I was going to move the coop into the garage becuase I have a heater in there, and he wasnt happy about the idea. If I can get them their own heat source, it will cheer him up considerably. Thanks.

in North Stockbridge and my coop is arriving today. Now the dilemma... Where can I buy hens who will start laying soon?? Thanks for any tips also. Jean:)

Back
Top Bottom