Quit Laying and Cayenne Pepper

aisle22

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
Hello!
First post here, but I have a real head scratcher. I have six chicks, got them freshly hatched last February. They started laying in June-July, and in November, the two easter eggers quit laying (temps hit about 40s). Now, temps have gotten cold, as they do here in Denver- but we've also had 50 degree days. But I haven't seen any eggs for weeks. Zero. Nada. It's like once it got cold, they decided they were done. And even though we've having great weather- they haven't laid any more....

I did see that using ground cayenne pepper can help get them laying again- but I didn't find very good instructions on how to use it. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

It isn't so much about the temp but the length of daylight. The days are getting longer now so your egg production should pick up in the next few weeks.

I second what enola and mortie said. They will lay when it's time.

As for the pepper, some days I give my chickens the red pepper flakes, I just sprinkle it right on the ground and they gobble it up as soon as they see it. I do about a tablespoon, but they act like they would eat more. :)
I got my chickens in May, and they started laying in October. One of them for sure has stopped, and another never started. I use a light that comes on at 4 am.

If you want to read more about the pepper, here is a thread where I found my some info:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...e-your-hens-lay-like-its-spring-in-the-winter

By the way aisle22, WELCOME!!!!! First post, yay!!!
welcome-byc.gif

wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom