quit poopin in the feed!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by okiechicken, Jul 11, 2010.

1. okiechicken

okiechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    seems as tho i have a hen roosting on the top of the feeder, its an open top and there's a pile in it most every morning. If i put the feeder under the nest box, it will keep them from roosting on it, but is that a good or bad place to put it? if i put it there, they wont be able to access all the way around the feeder.

or, should i try hanging it and will this stop the roosting problem? they have a roost bar (2x2) but im not sure if they even use it other than to stand on.

(my chickens do not live at my residence and by the time i get there in the am, they are already outside in the run and when i leave at nite, it is still light out. also, the door makes alot of noise when opened so im not sure they would stay on it if i went down late a nite to check. while the roost bar is dirty from dirty feet, i dont know if they sleep on it.)
  2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I'd bet they are roosting, and I think that under the nest box is okay as long as they have food all day- this is second to the option of hanging it, though- I'd go for that in a heartbeat. Just make sure you don't hang it from anything they can perch on or the roost!
  3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    We hang ours. My husband just put up a braced piece of MDS with a screw hanging off of the side, and we suspend the food. No-one tries to roost on it.
  4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    When I was a kid, we put a round bar that would rotate above the feeder. When chickens got on it, it moved so they wouldn't roost on it. We had two boards that went up from each end and then the 'roll' bar went straight above the feeder, hooked on both sides to the two boards. It worked, no one roosted on the feeder after that.
  5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Overrun With Chickens

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I did mine nice and simple!

6. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I have one of those feeders and had the same problem, for about 5 minutes. I took a piece of chicken wire, maybe 24" x 18" and rolled it tight enough to drop into the top of the feeder. Once it unrolled it presented a precarious perch at best, and no more Roosting. I can fill the feeder through the top still, as the feed runs right through the chicken wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by