1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quite chickens--- Ideal breeds for areas with noise ordinance ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BruceAZ, Aug 24, 2016.

1. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    Hello,

I would like to ask what are the best breeds for being quite ?

two of my hens were fighting for the same nesting box this morning - leghorn vs australorp -- even when there are 2 nesting boxes for 5 hens..

I was considering bantams but i heard they are pretty loud?

any good breed that will not make a lot of noise ?

normal chicken sounds would be fine.. but when i can hear it 15-20 ft inside the house through closed doors/windows .. it can be a problem..

i do want to keep the current flock.. just want to know what i can for my next flock

thanks

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  2. All Ball

All Ball Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2013
    El Sobrante, CA
    I've had the impression that leghorns can be pretty noisy....

It can be hard to ensure you'll get quieter chickens. I have very noisy chickens, both in egg songs and demanding food, but my friend's flock is quite quiet - I think he has mainly austrolorps, an easter egger....my first flock years ago, they were either production red, red star or RIR, were pretty quiet - only 1 of 4 egg songed, and no other noises.

I think EEs and SLWs are known for being more on the quieter side...

3. BruceAZ

May 18, 2016
    i hope they will become more quite as they got older

since the oldest hen in the flock makes little noise-- it will go in and out.. lay her egg.. and free ranging all day

i'll try to take a picture of her later -- since she might be of the quiet breed ?

the other 4.. are too noisy.. especially the leghorn

my leghorn likes to hold up the nesting box for hours!!

4. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    Just my 2 cents-

I'm a beginner and am enjoying my first flock. That said, my Delaware is LOUD. Subsequent research seems to show that this may be a breed characteristic. Just a heads up in case they were on your radar. She's a nice enough bird but I won't get another.

Good luck.

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    My Light Sussex hens were always nice and quiet. I see you are in Az. Maybe check out a Naked Neck or Egyptian Fayoumis for your hot weather. See if they are quiet?
    Best,
    Karen in PA, USA

6. BruceAZ

May 18, 2016
    i don't know a lot about breed..

but this is the quietest hen in my flock.. she will go in and out the nesting box to lay her egg each day then go out to free range . no egg song what so ever either..

the oldest in my flock as well-- so i was hoping maybe the other 4 will also become more quite when they got to her current age ?

[​IMG]

the others.. like to make noises even when there's no egg..

[​IMG]

7. Love4zion

Love4zion Out Of The Brooder

My cuckoo maran is my quietest and my Egyptian Fayuomis is the loudest of all 7 chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by