Quiz me on the breed and gender of your chickens (particularly younger birds)!

Pics

EEforMe

Crowing
Sep 5, 2021
Northwest Washington, USA (near Seattle)
I am trying to get better at figuring out the gender of chickens, particularly younger birds (10 weeks through maturity) that are more unclear as to the gender. I’ve seen some of these threads where people will look at the most blurry/unclear photos and just figure the gender out easy! I don’t understand how! I know I will get better with practice, so: quiz me!

Make sure your pics are clear enough to see individual hackle/saddle feathers or else I’ll be absolutely clueless lol. Also no silkies please, I’d be doing eany-meany-miny-mo to guess 🤣 Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
2549B7E3-71FA-4268-AF82-D8F38EEBFD2E.jpeg
Erm, okay. Dominique, 15 weeks. Right in the center.
Youngest bird in the photo. All others are a little older.

I am trying to get better at figuring out the gender of chickens, particularly younger birds that are more unclear as to the gender. I’ve seen some of these threads where people will look at the most blurry/unclear photos and just figure the gender out easy! I don’t understand how! I know I will get better with practice, so: quiz me!

Make sure your pics are clear enough to see individual hackle/saddle feathers or else I’ll be absolutely clueless lol. Thanks in advance!
Age range you are looking for?🙂

The age range where, say people on BYC would ask about it. I can’t do any with down but also I know how to tell a full-rooster from a hen. Kinda make sense? If not just ask and I’ll try to figure out an actual number.
People post birds here for gender identification at a day old.🤣
But seems most people start asking about the genders from 4 weeks. Most single combed birds can be ID'd from 6-8 weeks. Rose combs and pea combs a little later. Saddle feathers start coming in around 12 weeks. Of course individual variation exists.
Silkies are a whole different conversation.😊

People post birds here for gender identification at a day old.🤣
But seems most people start asking about the genders from 4 weeks. Most single combed birds can be ID'd from 6-8 weeks. Rose combs and pea combs a little later. Saddle feathers start coming in around 12 weeks. Of course individual variation exists.
Silkies are a whole different conversation.😊
Thanks! Where I am I’m the chicken expert but here on BYC not as much🤣🤣 Thanks for the info! So let’s say 10 weeks to maturity! I’ll add that to the original post.

Back
Top Bottom