R.I.P. Bella

warren

Songster
12 Years
Sep 29, 2007
UK
My dear old hen, Bella, died this afternoon at 4.5 years of age. She had been running around the garden all afternoon, eating well and enjoying the sun, so I was surprised to find her lying on her side at 5pm when I went out to put them in their pen. She died half an hour later. She had been showing her age lately with a ‘where’s my zimmer?’ look about her, so I think she must have had a heart attack or stroke. At least she did not suffer for long. I am thankful for all the eggs she gave me during the 2.5 years that I had her. She was one of my first hens, so I won‘t forget her. I will plant her under my apple tree so she will continue to be productive even in her death. The poor old soul had such lovely feathers even in her last months, in fact better than when she was young. I will miss her.
sad.png

Thanks all.

The hen in the avatar is Daisy, who was Bella's companion for 6 months until she became poorly. Daisy was a blood thirsty little monster as although she was a lot smaller than Bella she used to bully her cruelly and eat her feathers and draw blood. Poor Bella used to keep out of her way as much as she could and I think we were both relieved when she had to go! Bella was on her own until I got two more hens and then she became the top hen. She mellowed during her last few months and became a gentle little soul.
As you can tell, I am a pet keeper not a farmer!

So sorry for your loss. I take the loss of our hens very hard. Like you, I'm a pet keeper too and they all mean so much to me. May you have the very best memories of her knowing that she knew you loved her and took great care of her.

Back
Top Bottom