Rabbit Aviary Pen

DaKid, I would like to see pictures of that. You could try replacing the grass by digging up sections you have growing elsewhere and using that. Like resodding.
Personally I would have gone with fewer ducks. They can be messy and can tear up an area quick. But I'm not much of a duck person..so that's just me.
Continued good luck on your project.

Last year i built my wife a rabit pen. The pen is 20'x 50' with an 8,x10, wood shed in there for there home. We had a friend dig down 2 to 3 feet and we buryd chicken wire then tied that in with the rest of the pen. she buys rabits at the auction ands puts them in there i have no idea how many does or bucks. they seem to be getting along fine we keep getting new babby rabbits in differbt colors the wifes loves it we throw greens out of the garden in there all the time . we use chicken waters 3 gallon and bulk fedders hopper type .

I stated rabbit aviary pen I said nothing about keeping another type of animal or bird with them

Aviaries are for birds. A rabbitry is for rabbits. If you say aviary it means birds and not a rabbit pen which confuses everyone.

There's another problem with keeping opposite genders together which no one told me about when I was first thinking of breeding. Does only release eggs after mating. If the buck mates with them multiple times with 8hours or more between breedings the doe can end up with 2 sets of kits. None of the kits will be born alive in that situation. Letting your bucks run with your does really increases the odds of it happening. Even if your does get along in a big group you should pen the bucks separately and bring each doe to the buck when you want to breed. Taking the buck to the does will frequently lead to fights and injuries since the does can be more territorial than the bucks.

You do have a greater chance of rabbits getting injured and kits getting killed. Be sure you are ready to deal with that because no matter how well they seem to be getting along all it takes is one hormonal day for animals like that to tear in to each other. I had a good example with a colony of button quail. They were all happily running about, sharing food, sleeping together, and calling back and forth to each other. One nice spring day the males all decided it was time to breed. The females got torn up, the males nearly killed each other, and in the 12 hours I was gone they went from a happy little flock to missing eyes, missing pieces of skull, torn up backs... It was a nightmare dealing with the aftermath. My example may be quail instead of rabbits but you are running the same risk of something going wrong. Breeders have seen these incidents or heard the stories often enough that they don't want to risk it. You have to decide if you are willing to risk seeing your animals like that.​

Back
Top Bottom