Rabbit basics. Help please :)

saraiquimby1

Songster
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Indiana
I am wanting to get a rabbit or two. I have a 10x12 horse stall I want to set up for them. So...what all should I get? What kind of essentials do I need.
Litter box. Water. Food. Anything else in there? Also what kind of footing. It’s sand right now as we used it for a chick brooder.
Straw? Shavings? I don’t even know where to start with the space we have.
Thanks for the help!

Unless you get your rabbits altered they will fight or breed out of control. Even 2 fixed rabbits may not get along. Rabbits are good at digging so they could dig out. Is there concrete underneath?

What are your plans? Sexes? It's always best to give each rabbit it's own hutch or pen with an area to run in.

Just pets. Not planning to breed. Adopting from the shelter so they are fixed. There is one single or a “bonded pair” that I’m deciding between. It’s concrete underneath.

Y’all I’m just asking for opinions on footing in that large of an area, and whether they NEED any other things in there. I always see tunnels and wood chunks and such in their areas and am wondering if they need anything else special.
Lots of people just keep them in tiny hutches and they do fine but I have that large of an area for potentially one rabbit and wondered what else they like to do

Before getting a rabbit do your research! A rabbit isn't an easy pet. They need lots of space, time and money. They need unlimited hay and a plate full of veggies along with 1/4 or 1/2 cup of pellets every day. Do research don't buy rabbits when you know nothing about them and there needs.
Plus they are challenging when they reach sexual maturity if they aren't altered. Who knew a bunny could pee on you? I do now. Naughty boys. And the females are moody. Bunnies can fun or a nightmare. Being prepared is always best.

Just pets. Not planning to breed. Adopting from the shelter so they are fixed. There is one single or a “bonded pair” that I’m deciding between. It’s concrete underneath.

Y’all I’m just asking for opinions on footing in that large of an area, and whether they NEED any other things in there. I always see tunnels and wood chunks and such in their areas and am wondering if they need anything else special.
Lots of people just keep them in tiny hutches and they do fine but I have that large of an area for potentially one rabbit and wondered what else they like to do
Mine are let out daily to run and play. Bunnies like to dig, so maybe a sandbox area. They like to hop up on things. I put logs for chewing and hoping on. I have a chair for me to sit on but my bunnies often sit on it too. They like chewing on twigs like willow or apple trees.

Mine mostly run, dig, and rub their chins on stuff to scent mark. I have read they like playing with plastic bowls or kitty toys.

If you can get a bonded pair that would be best. Otherwise alternating who is out will work well too for bunnies that aren't bonded. Rabbits still like other rabbits for company, even if it's to try to fight through the cage, or just say hello.

Use whatever bedding you like. Shavings, hay, sand, gravel, all will work.

Rabbits should have water, pellets, and hay. They also need wood to chew to keep their teeth worn down.

Sorry for too much information. :hmm

No I appreciate it. I am trying to do my research but it seems most people keep them in hutches and I’m having trouble finding out how to keep them in a space that big that’s not outside/grass. I don’t want to do it wrong lol I’m a perfectionist when it comes to my animals.
The biggest hang up for me was what bedding/footing since I have no experience with rabbits yet.

I appreciate your feedback :)

Back
Top Bottom