Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
Pics

NoFlyBackFarm

Crowing
Aug 6, 2018
Pilesgrove, New Jersey
Okay so, this is my problem-
This week our Mini Rex, Cocoa, died. She had been strong and healthy at her last check. Very suddenly she lost weight. I upped her food intake a bit to see if that would help. When night I went out to feed and she was standing on her hind legs, her head was aiming towards the sky. With no other symptoms, we assumed it was a double ear infection. We gave a penicillin injection and kept her in a cat carrier overnight. She was dead by morning. Tonight I had an event and got back late, 10:00. I went outside and locked my chickens up. Then I went to feed the rabbits, I fed the Silverfoxes first, their hutches sit high (this is important). I moved on to my set of mixes (one high cage, one low cage). Then Mini Rexes, Coffee and her 5 kits, (low cage). First thing I noticed right off the bat is that two were dead. I got worried it was the cold and put more hay in the box. When, I noticed that two were laying on their sides. I picked one up and flopped like a rag doll. They both kept on rolling around on the cage floor. I thought they were dying and brought the 3 kits and mom inside. We first thought it was Floppy Bunny Syndrome and propped them up to treat it. I checked over all my rabbits, when I saw that one of the low ones had diarrhea and flipped out. The low one with diarrhea is an 8 year old buck in a low cage. I started putting two and two together. When I realized they had Cocci, I ran inside and told my mother. She looked up and said she would buy Corid in the morning. One kit seems okay and is still sick however. The mother is fine but the other two. They are slightly responsive to touch, but I need to get ACV water into them if I want them to survive the night. they cannot eat or drink on their own, PLEASE HELP!! Our current cause is the fact that chickens have been kicking up the feces and urine under the cages and spreading it. We are treating them to and I assumed that was why only low rabbits had it.
PLEASE POST ANYTHING YOU KNOW! I'M WORRIED SICK!

:hugs Sorry for your loss, no clue as to why only the low cages are being affected but I would call a Vet & treat all your rabbits & chickens. Have read also it's in the ground & not sure if there's a way to treat the ground. Hope someone can be of more help ... You could call your Dept of AG to see what they recommend. :fl

We thought it was an ear infection, so no. I didn't know that about Cocci, but I thought it might have spread from the ground. It's been a wet season and the chickens kick dirt into their cage.

Back
Top Bottom