Rabbit Crusty Ear Problem

Okay, I think I will try to get the paste w/Ivermectin (if I can find it). If not I will be forced to use drops.

My gosh it's sad to think I didn't notice anything building up in the poor baby's ears for 2 years. Once they're gone what should I look for to nip it in the bud right away?

I read in one of the replies that stress can cause a bunny to maybe go in cardiac arrest. So, even though the build up appears to be clogging her ear (as can be seen from the pic) it will be safe to let it fall out by itself once the mites are gone? I don't want to stress her and I don't want the build up to hurt her either. I am such a newbie.

Thank you Red and Barr for your help and everybody else, too. You all have been soooo helpful and I really appreciate it.

As tender as the ear is now, I think trying to clean her ear would be more painful than leaving it alone. It would be a little like trying to pull off a fresh scab. After you medicate her and kill the mites, the ear should start to heal and become less tender. It should also start to heal from underneath. A little like the way your skin heals, underneath a scab.

it will be safe to let it fall out by itself once the mites are gone?

My rabbits ear looked as bad , if not worse, but within 3 days of dosing with Ivomec, they cleared up on their own.

I never had to touch the rabbit at all since I mixed it with their water​

That's great! Whew! I was dreading trying to cage her and paying the money to clean her ears (although I would have).

Thank you!
smile.png

WoodlandWoman is right--treat the mites, but don't try to remove the buildup. Once the mites are gone, the ear will heal and that stuff will come out on its own. Right now, though, it's stuck down tight just like a scab.

Incidentally, any stuff that does come out: dispose of it right away! It's packed full of mite eggs that have not been killed by the medication. Those eggs will hatch and spread new mites around. For that reason, it would be practical to change out the bunnies' bedding once a day throughout your treatment period (if they're confined). A little paranoid, yes, but it will help cut down on re-infestation.

As far as monitoring for future outbreaks: look for crusty/scaly stuff in the ears. Normally a rabbit's ears are clean and free of scaliness or buildup, so even a small amount is significant.

Woodland, Bear and Barr you all seem to agree and thank you for your responses. That's okay Barr to be paranoid in favor of helping the buns! I gave them their first dose yesterday and I will wait 10 days for the next one and then 10 days after that for the last one. When should I be seeing the mites and/or ear stuff clear up? Actually, I don't have bedding in their hutch...it's wire although they like pulling their hay out of their bowls and laying on it. I didn't realize all these years they needed bedding since they did it themselves. lol They are such cute, little buggers! Well, 'big' buggers. lol

Feel free to offer other tips if you think I need them. :)

I have always had great results using liquid ivermectin 1% topically in the ear. Gently drip it in the ear & massage in. repeat in 2 weeks. Works well this way in horses & dogs too. FYI DO NOT USE IVERMECTIN IN CATS for ear mites or anything else! Ivermectin will kill or seriously injure (neurotic) cats.

I will keep this in mind, Nop cuz if one way doesn't work I'll try the other; and thanks on the cat tips, too.

clap.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom