Rabbit Doe pulling fur

Cryssie_Bou

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 25, 2011
I have a doe holland lop who yesterday started pulling fur.. around her head... mainly around one eye and today its around the forehead/nose area.. no clue as to why she is doing it my other rabbit in the cage beside her is fine.. and they havent faught or anything.. the skin is pink, no crusties, no flaking etc and she isnt bred..

any ideas guy?

I can't imagine how a rabbit could pull fur from those areas herself. Fur pulling is done with the mouth, and it's physically impossible for her to reach her forehead with her mouth! If there is only wire separating her from a rabbit in an adjacent cage, my bet would be that it's her neighbor that is pulling the fur out. Now, why a rabbit would sit and let another yank its fur out is beyond me, but I have seen it happen before.

If the hair is just coming out rather than being pulled, it could be mites. Any time I see bare patches on a rabbit, I dose them with some Ivermectin just in case. Ivermectin is effective against many types of internal and external parasites, and is safe when given at appropriate doses.

Back
Top Bottom