Rabbit Emergency....lots of questions!!!! Help? Updated--Post 6!!!!!!

Willow's Meadow

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
So yesterday my rabbit got left outside to eat grass in her cage. We forgot to bring her in so she stayed in her cage outside all night. I know it was stupid and irresponsible...I am very, very mad at myself but I do not need you telling me I am cruel, I just need help. My rabbit was okay when I got her this morning. But she was very lethargic and when I brought her in she wouldn't move, she just layed there. So did she have a heart attack and just got scared? I called a vet and he said she probably just ate way to much grass and she did not have a heart attack. She usually gets to eat grass/greens so her system is used to it. But yesterday she ate way more then usual. She is very very very lethargic, tired, won't move and has runny poop. Do you think she ate to much grass? How can I get her to start hoping around and getting some energy? Should I just let her rest for now? Is there something I should be feeding her to help the runny poop? She is just laying there with her back legs stretched out all the way and has her eyes half closed. She will start sleeping and then wake up again. But she will eat pellets out of my hand. She is 2 years old and is a mini lop.

Last edited:
I would get her to the vet. She at minimum needs some probiotics. She might even have GI stasis which will need meds. Good luck with your rabbit.

i think she ate to much grass too. i just posted info on ur other post see if that helps ya.
smile.png

You could offer her some pina colada yogurt - and add some fresh (not canned) pineapple bits and juice. The yougurt should help with her digestion, and the pineapple has beneficial enzymes to help, too. be sure she drinks water as well, and good luck - I hope she'll be OK.

Quote:
She's pretty much the same. We took her to the vet and she said she ate something bad and that she is sick and hopefully it will go through her system and she'll be okay. The diarrhea stopped but she still won't move. I think she is paralyzed. We have to hand feed her and give her water out of a spoon. I don't think she's in pain but she's not happy. I think were going to put her down.
hit.gif

I'm so sorry. We had a rescue bunny that got a blockage - most likely a hairball - that we nursed for weeks doing pretty much what you are. Probiotics, yogurt, pineapple, etc. He finally did come around, but died of another blockage a few months later. Rabbits are so feakin' frail! That's why they can reproduce so well - they don't all make it, for whatever reason. On the other hand, I've heard of bunnies living to be well over 10 yrs old!
hu.gif
I've had a couple live pretty long (8 and 10 yrs), but they didn't have any more special treatment than the short-lived ones. Hang in there, do what you can, and don't beat yourself up if bunny doesn't make it
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom