Rabbit Feed.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Wolf-Kim, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Okay, so we found this pretty awesome feedstore that sells feed cheap in comparison to our two local stores.

They have two kinds of rabbit feed. Purina and Winner.. Any experience with these feeds? The winner is cheaper, but I wonder if Purina is higher quality. Does feed quality affect rabbits all that much?

2. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    Don't use it ifits not a good name brand. Those tend to be cheap and full of corn. purina produces some pretty good feeds.

3. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Feed quality has a very big effect on rabbits, yes. Purina is a good, nationally known brand of feed. I'm not familiar with Winner, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

4. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    If I was using them for showing or meat Id use Purina.

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Look at the lables and note the %'s for nuitrients. A smaller brand isn't bad pe se, it just may be a local thing (example I can get locally milled game bird feed $3 less a bag than the name brand stuff, analysis tags is the same, only differance is the cheap one is milled an hour north of here, the big bags get shipped from the midwest).

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I'll post the percentages on Monday. I compared them Thursday, and figured I would just look up the percentages online and then post them. Got home and couldn't find the "Winner" brand online, so I'll write down the percentages on Monday. [​IMG]

The only thing that's aggravating is that the Purina, which I think is better, only comes in a 25# bag. I may have to call and request it from them, the feed store is 45 minutes from the house, but we pass it on the way to college. Even if we didn't pass it, it's much more affordable than the small local feedstore and tractor supply. [​IMG]

7. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    No one manufacturer of feed is any better or worse than any other.
    I feed Manna gro to my rabbits, and they do very well on it, its $15.00 per bag
    I fed Local Agway Brand years before and they again did very well on that feed at $11.00 per bag.
    Fact of grains are :
    All grains/ feed are processed in the same plants.
    You can have Purina, Manna Gro, Dumor, Agway,BlueSeal, Pen Pals etc et all coming from the same mill.
    the trick comes in when they switch from one brand of grain to another,ie: cracked corn to rabbit,then to chicken, then to turkey, you get the picture.
    I have seen this repeatedly in many different brands of feed, light almost yellow pellets in with nice green pellets, ok some one didnt clean the machine after processing we will say turkey pellets. for sake of argument.

Purina, Mills for many different brands of local and top brand name feeds.
    Each brand has its own formular and way of processing.
    The only way to know which feed is milled by a different processor is to chech the bag, it will tell you exactly which plant processed that particular brand and which Co owns the plant.

Rabbit grain that is perfect for "Your" rabbit is the one they thrive on the best.
    a suggestion would be chose a grain and stick with it.
    feed changes make horrid complications for some rabbits.

Purina its self your paying for the name, Dumor (TSC brand) is Purina under a different lable. same product same quality, same everything except different price.

Small World Rabbit Grain sold by most all Walmart, most scoff at it being a cheap grain, not so its actually Manna Pro, distributed by the Manna Pro company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by