Rabbit help! Semi emergency *update*

My rescue Angora Cross Rin is slowly starving herself...
How?
SHE KEEPS PEEING IN HER FOOD DISH!!!!! Every single day, every single time I put food in it, regardless of the dish or how high she pees in it!
She is getting progressively skinnier and I dont know how to break her of this habit, or what to do!
This is a silly emergency but please anyone help T_T

Update:
I have stuffed her box with timothy hay and over loaded her with carrots, broccoli, apple twigs and apples.
She thinks shes being spoiled.
Anyway it is the food.
She has yet to pee in the bowl since the pellets are gone!
Now I am just on a hunt for a food she wont pee on...

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I have tried that, a litter box, a food bowl, and nothing. She ends up pooping in the one and then right back to peeing in her dish.
I am at a loss.
I have also tried raising the dish, but she just finds a way to pull it down.
I have tried fastening it into the side of her hutch, and she has actually found a way to lift her hind end to pee in it *No idea how she has figured this out, I sat for two hours once trying to catch her doing it, but nothing*
And I have tried multiple different types of bowls...

Quote:
Hmm, I haven't tried that, but now that you have mentioned associating...
When i found her she was being raised on those absorbing pellets: http://www.lonestarbedding.com/ Like those except for rabbits.
Maybe she is thinks the food pellets are the bedding pellets she grew up on?
And if that's the case then what?

For now why don't you try giving hay, carrots, and other things till you figure out whats going on exactly. I bet she thinks its bedding, I would look around for another brand or mix of rabbit feed
smile.png
But she should eat the treats for now!

Quote:
That wont end up hurting her just eating hay and carrots?

My rabbits are given hay everyday, carrots are treats to mine so they get it once a week.... i am just saying for the time being( like the next week while you get new feeds to try with her, its fine! She needs to eat something! But no it shouldn't be her diet.

There is mixes of feed that aren't just pellets.

Also she actually will pull down the metal feeders that hang off the the wire? We just use bowls too but one of ours has the metal feeder that attaches to the wire cage because some how he was pulling his food to the water bottle and his food would always be soaked
smile.png

She is probably associating the food with those pellets. I would try switching foods for now, even if it is that cheap colorful stuff, just so she has something to eat. Then over time you can reintroduce the pellets and hopefully she will have learned to accept it as food and now a bathroom spot. Could you even give her a litter pan with pellets to pee in? Maybe that will help her learn where she should be going in her cage.

Back
Top Bottom