Rabbit Hutch and Run Ideas

sophiesmith

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 11, 2012
Van Wert, OH
I am a brand new rabbit owner.We have a mini lop rabbit.( I will try to post some pictures soon.) How much square footage of space do rabbits need? Can you post some pictures please? Thank you in advance.

Hi! Rabbits do very well in small spaces. I have had mini lops for almost a decade now... They're really wonderful. A rabbit that size does not need a large cage or space, 8-10 square feet should be plenty. Make sure there's a quiet hiding spot in the cage. A small cardboard box on it's side works well. I get mine from Costco as the vegetable boxes are very sturdy. The cage needs to be dry and up off the ground, somewhere sheltered and filled with lots of hay or bedding. If you want to build an attached run, I suggest making it as big as you want! My mini lops were/are in very small cages (18"X30") but access to a full sized 15X15ish bunny proofed room all day long. A 3X3, 2X5, similarly sized or larger cage is plenty of space for a mini lop to have room to run and jump and frolick and will suffice for it's needs through it's whole life... But more space is always better. Good luck!

Congratulations!!! I love bunnies, they are so charming and adorable. Mine are house rabbits and have a 48" wire dog crate with a shelf in it and I attached an exercise pen so they have enough space to binky around, in total it is about a 4' x 6' area. The more space your bunny has, the happier he will be. If you don't have room to give your bunny a big living area, you could bunny proof a room and just keep the cage door open during the day. I am hoping to give mine a large fenced in area in my yard this year for fair weather fun time, right now their run is only 6' x 8'. If your bunny lives by itself outside please think about getting it a friend. Rabbits are very social creatures and are happier with a friend of their own kind. Especially if they are not indoors receiving regular human interaction.

The website that KaraBY posted a link to is a very good one and has a lot of information on it regarding housing and diet. Post a picture of your new baby if you get a chance. I am so jealous, I do love Lops the best (but don't tell my sticky-uppy ear fluffers!)

Back
Top Bottom