Rabbit info please

Rabbits, being prey to many animals, are very good at hiding illnesses. If you suspect anything is wrong, take them to the vet immediately.

The most common is GI stasis. This is when they don't have any food in their stomachs. They can die within 24 hours with little to no symptoms.
This can happen when a rabbit isn't brushed often enough and they injest to much fur and it blocks their system. The same can happen when they eat carpet or toys. This is why replacing old toys and bunny proofing is so important.
If you notice your bunny not eating regularly, take them straight to the vet.

Diarrhea can happen when your rabbit is stressed, doesn't have enough fiber in their diet, or has an intestinal infection. Identifying the cause is the first thing to do. Your vet an provide you with treatment options, but you'll need to increase the fiber in their diet. Feed nothing but hay for several weeks.

Heat stroke is very common with outdoor rabbits. Though they can tolerate the cold, they get overheated in the summer as they cannot sweat. If not provided with fresh water and shade this could easily happen with your rabbit. Signs of heat stroke include lethargy, difficulty breathing, and collapsing.
Keeping them indoors is the best option, but to help you can by place some frozen water bottles in the hutch.
Take your rabbit to the vet if you notice any signs of heat stroke.

Bladder stones can develop in your rabbit just like many other pets.
Bladder stones are typically composed of calcium.
Signs may include lathaegy, weight loss, loss of appetite, excessive teeth grinding, excessive urination, and blood in the urine.
Your vet may be able to feel the stones in an examination, but not always. Its bests to get an x-ray if you think your rabbit has bladder stones.
A diet high in calcium can cause bladder stones. If you have an adult rabbit (6+ months) they should not have alfalfa and should instead be weaned onto Timothy hay.

These are just a few, but there are tons of great articles! Anyways, I hope this helps 😊

Rabbits, being prey to many animals, are very good at hiding illnesses. If you suspect anything is wrong, take them to the vet immediately.

The most common is GI stasis. This is when they don't have any food in their stomachs. They can die within 24 hours with little to no symptoms.
This can happen when a rabbit isn't brushed often enough and they injest to much fur and it blocks their system. The same can happen when they eat carpet or toys. This is why replacing old toys and bunny proofing is so important.
If you notice your bunny not eating regularly, take them straight to the vet.

Diarrhea can happen when your rabbit is stressed, doesn't have enough fiber in their diet, or has an intestinal infection. Identifying the cause is the first thing to do. Your vet an provide you with treatment options, but you'll need to increase the fiber in their diet. Feed nothing but hay for several weeks.

Heat stroke is very common with outdoor rabbits. Though they can tolerate the cold, they get overheated in the summer as they cannot sweat. If not provided with fresh water and shade this could easily happen with your rabbit. Signs of heat stroke include lethargy, difficulty breathing, and collapsing.
Keeping them indoors is the best option, but to help you can by place some frozen water bottles in the hutch.
Take your rabbit to the vet if you notice any signs of heat stroke.

Bladder stones can develop in your rabbit just like many other pets.
Bladder stones are typically composed of calcium.
Signs may include lathaegy, weight loss, loss of appetite, excessive teeth grinding, excessive urination, and blood in the urine.
Your vet may be able to feel the stones in an examination, but not always. Its bests to get an x-ray if you think your rabbit has bladder stones.
A diet high in calcium can cause bladder stones. If you have an adult rabbit (6+ months) they should not have alfalfa and should instead be weaned onto Timothy hay.

These are just a few, but there are tons of great articles! Anyways, I hope this helps 😊
I didn't know they needed to be brushed. Currently I have one male, two females and four babies close to a month old. (One female was pregnant from her old home and gave birth here.) Our male is kept separate from both females until the warm seasons. The other female was pregnant to but we think she killed her babies. We are wanting to rehome her because she came to us as an aggressive bunny. The other two adults are sweet darlin's and the babies are also turning out to be sweet to. They are outdoor meat rabbits. We intend to have one male and maybe two females to keep for breeding meat and pelt rabbits.

I didn't know they needed to be brushed. Currently I have one male, two females and four babies close to a month old. (One female was pregnant from her old home and gave birth here.) Our male is kept separate from both females until the warm seasons. The other female was pregnant to but we think she killed her babies. We are wanting to rehome her because she came to us as an aggressive bunny. The other two adults are sweet darlin's and the babies are also turning out to be sweet to. They are outdoor meat rabbits. We intend to have one male and maybe two females to keep for breeding meat and pelt rabbits.

What breed are they?

Often times rabbits turn aggressive around 3-6 months, the teenage stage, with hormones and all that. With a pet rabbit getting them fixed would resolve that issue but that's not an option here.
It could also just be that she hasn't been socialized well. This takes time. Lots of videos on how to bond with them and I can help if you want.
It could also be from being in a small cage. Cage aggression is common when they are in too small a space and are territorial of it. Giving her some more space is good either way.

Do the cages have wire flooring? This can also cause issues. Rabbits dont have paw pads and have very thin skin. Eventually the wire cuts into their skin. Then their hocks can get infected. Not to mention, standing on wire is very painful.

Are both the females together? I spayed female rabbits are notorious for being aggressive towards each other.
Sometimes to do okay, but it's just something to be aware of.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! I'd be glad to help

What breed are they?

Often times rabbits turn aggressive around 3-6 months, the teenage stage, with hormones and all that. With a pet rabbit getting them fixed would resolve that issue but that's not an option here.
It could also just be that she hasn't been socialized well. This takes time. Lots of videos on how to bond with them and I can help if you want.
It could also be from being in a small cage. Cage aggression is common when they are in too small a space and are territorial of it. Giving her some more space is good either way.

Do the cages have wire flooring? This can also cause issues. Rabbits dont have paw pads and have very thin skin. Eventually the wire cuts into their skin. Then their hocks can get infected. Not to mention, standing on wire is very painful.

Are both the females together? I spayed female rabbits are notorious for being aggressive towards each other.
Sometimes to do okay, but it's just something to be aware of.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! I'd be glad to help
They have wire flooring covered with a thick layer of hay. The females were next to each other but since one killed her babies we have since separated them by putting the male in the enclosure between them. As for age, I am unsure of the females ages. The one that killed her babies was given away because she was aggressive apparently and tried to bite her breeder which is a personal friend of ours. She's bitten my stepdad and me already in the few weeks we've had her to. As for breed, I wasn't told. But she is one of the large breeds with short smooth soft fur. She gives the growling and grunts if we try and go to pet her, by ignores us when we're doing clean up, food, and water.

Good info above. The most common illness I've seen is ear mites - they get carried in with hay or straw and get in the ears. Mineral oil is an easy and effective fix.

For pet rabbits getting fixed is important, especially for does as reproductive cancers are rampant. I've seen it in breeders sometimes as young as 3 years. Doesn't matter if they have no litters, they can still get it if unfixed.

Take care around rabbits in commercial settings, even small farms or pet breeders. RHDV2 is terrifying and Pasteurella can wipe out entire herds. Practice good biosecurity.

Good info above. The most common illness I've seen is ear mites - they get carried in with hay or straw and get in the ears. Mineral oil is an easy and effective fix.

For pet rabbits getting fixed is important, especially for does as reproductive cancers are rampant. I've seen it in breeders sometimes as young as 3 years. Doesn't matter if they have no litters, they can still get it if unfixed.

Take care around rabbits in commercial settings, even small farms or pet breeders. RHDV2 is terrifying and Pasteurella can wipe out entire herds. Practice good biosecurity.
Rhdv2??? Is that an infection of some sort. I'm guessing it's good to quarantine new rabbits before introducing them to new males or females if we get new ones at all. Just like chickens?

They have wire flooring covered with a thick layer of hay. The females were next to each other but since one killed her babies we have since separated them by putting the male in the enclosure between them. As for age, I am unsure of the females ages. The one that killed her babies was given away because she was aggressive apparently and tried to bite her breeder which is a personal friend of ours. She's bitten my stepdad and me already in the few weeks we've had her to. As for breed, I wasn't told. But she is one of the large breeds with short smooth soft fur. She gives the growling and grunts if we try and go to pet her, by ignores us when we're doing clean up, food, and water.
If you think it's best to rehome her than of course do so, but there are ways to help her aggression.
Rabbits raised for breeding and meat all their lives just aren't used to being pet, since they aren't pets so they dont "need" to be friendly

They sound like Rex rabbits to me. What color (s) are they?

Back
Top Bottom