Rabbit losing weight

BirdyMe

Songster
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
near St. Louis, Missouri
My 4 year old Mini Rex buck is losing weight. He's always been a little chunky, since he was a baby. I free fed him when he was young, but because he got so fat, I started putting him on rations. I noticed recently that he was looking a little skinny, so I started giving him a bit extra, in hoped that would bring him back to normal size.

But he's still slowly losing weight. He's had no change in attitude or general health, other than that.

The only recent change I've made in diet is switching to a different feed. I had them on a 12% all stock for a long time. They all did great on it, but when the buck started losing weight, I just went ahead and switched him over to a real rabbit food. I think it's a 16% protein ration.

What do I do? Should I try worming him? Is there any special supplement that I should give him?

I really appreciate any suggestions! I'm getting worried about him...he's one of my first rabbits...kind of my baby. :)

sounds likethe best thing to do is get him to the vet and test him. there should be no reason a 4 year old should go down in weight. has it had more exercise? as far as food goes what is the amount of pellets vs vegetables do you give him?

I've gone back to free feeding him for the pellets. He's eating roughly 3/4 cup of pellets for the whole day, I think. I rarely give them treats, and occasionally they'll get some green lettuce or maybe some apple. They do get free choice to grass hay...forgot to mention that before.

He hasn't had anymore exercise than normal. He's a very active bunny in his cage though- always has been.

Look at his teeth do they look normal? Rabbits can have teeth issues.
You can give him some black oil sunflower seeds (unsalted, not roasted) which will help fatten him up. Around a teaspoon a day to start with along with his pellets, hay and fresh water daily.
Aprille

Agree with the post above. Hvae his teeth checked. I was talking to a vet the other day and she was telling me about rabbit teeth (we were cutting rat teeth at the time). Since I have a pet rabbit, I perked up and listitened. She said that their teeth can over grow and you never notice it because it is usually towards the back. They will have to be clipped by a vet as they are difficult to get to (usually light anesthetic). Often the first sign is weight loss.
I know I am keeping an eye on my bunny. I will also put in more chewable toys!
Good luck.

You know, I didn't even think about his teeth being the problem. I'll check them when I feed here in a few minutes. And I'll also get him the sunflower seeds as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom