rabbit made nest last week

thank you for all your replies. I'm going to wait for the weather to warm up a bit before i breed her again, she is in part of a barn so she has plenty of room to run but the boy is in his hutch. (its ot that big and i have checked for babies in other places but nothing, maybe i left them together for too long at the beginning.
last time we left them for a couple of hours and then again a couple of days later, thats when she had her last lot.

If you are going to breed her, she nees to have her own hutch. otherwise you may never find the babies.

When breeding rabbits, you place the FEMALE in the MALES cage just long enough for them to breed... Let me get her 3 or 4 times.. you'll know when he does cuz he's grunt and flop over (kinda funny actually lol) then place the female back into her own cage. Count 31 days from the day you breed... so if you were to bred today (Jan 13) then the babies will be due Feb 13. Put a box in on day 30 (so Feb 12) then sit back and wait. Let her take her time. I can palpatate and see if they are preggo. If she doesnt make a nest, assume she is not pregnant. Leave her in till day 33 (so in this example.. Feb 15) if still no babies, take out the box. You can then re-breed her (using a differnt buck if available) or wait till it gets warmer. I have a doe due today.. so I am hopes that by tonight, she'll have babies inthe box. I palpatated her and she's just full of babies!!

Keep in mind that does will usually (but not always) go off feed for a couple days right before they deliver. Keep fresh hay both in the nestbox and for her to eat somewhere inthe cage along with pellets (only what's needed for a days ration.. with us.. about 2oz per rabbit/day) We also give Calf Manna after delivery to help with milk production.

We feed Pen Pal 18% for our meat rabbits and moms/babies up to 8 weeks old

Wean babies at about 6-8 weeks depending on breed. Seperate them into their own cages to prevent fighting. So if you have a litter of 8, you will need 8 cages to put them in...

Breeding can be fun, rewarding and stressfull all at the same time!!

Good luck..

OH, if she hasnt had them by now.. she is most likely NOT pregnant and had was is called a false pregnancy. THey will build nests, pull fur and then just sit there LOL... Remember, do not keep the buck with her for any longer than to breed....

When we breed.. we pick a day, put the doe in with the buck in his cage, let him do his thing 3 or 4 times and removed the doe placing her back into her own cage. Then we count 31 days and then babies...

You can visit our site to see our set up! www.codysrabbitcave.net

Good luck again

Back
Top Bottom