1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabbit not eating

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 22lilchickens, Mar 25, 2017.

1. 22lilchickens

22lilchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2014
    Virginia
    I have New Zealand doe that should have babies in a couple days and she is noting eating like she normally does. Is it just because she should be have babies!

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If she is close to giving birth, it's very possible that's why she has decreased appetite. Once she gives birth, her appetite should increase again. Just keep an eye on her in case something else is going on.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It isn't unusual for rabbits to slow down food consumption a few days before kindling. I once had a Champagne doe who barely ate pellets for the last week before she kindled. However, she did drink water and eat hay and other non-pellet foods. I would offer your doe some hay and monitor her closely for other symptoms: pronounced lethargy (some is to be expected with pregnant does), nasal discharge, labored breathing, or a complete loss of appetite.

4. 22lilchickens

Oct 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Other then a decreased appetite thats the only thing going on, she has become very very friendly these last few days letting me pet her and feel under her stomach so I was assuming maybe it was just because she is pregnant. She has also been spending a lot of time in her house part and her belly looks very poked out in her sides.

5. 22lilchickens

Oct 3, 2014
    Virginia
    We should have baby bunnies soon!!! Hurt gave her hay to see what she would do with it and she has a haystache!![​IMG]

6. 22lilchickens

Oct 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Not only did she starting building a nest after I gave her a nest box she started pulling hair....hopefully signs she will be a good mom

7. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope her kindling goes smoothly and she has a nice, healthy litter! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by