Rabbit not eating

22lilchickens

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 3, 2014
Virginia
I have New Zealand doe that should have babies in a couple days and she is noting eating like she normally does. Is it just because she should be have babies!

If she is close to giving birth, it's very possible that's why she has decreased appetite. Once she gives birth, her appetite should increase again. Just keep an eye on her in case something else is going on.

It isn't unusual for rabbits to slow down food consumption a few days before kindling. I once had a Champagne doe who barely ate pellets for the last week before she kindled. However, she did drink water and eat hay and other non-pellet foods. I would offer your doe some hay and monitor her closely for other symptoms: pronounced lethargy (some is to be expected with pregnant does), nasal discharge, labored breathing, or a complete loss of appetite.

Other then a decreased appetite thats the only thing going on, she has become very very friendly these last few days letting me pet her and feel under her stomach so I was assuming maybe it was just because she is pregnant. She has also been spending a lot of time in her house part and her belly looks very poked out in her sides.

We should have baby bunnies soon!!! Hurt gave her hay to see what she would do with it and she has a haystache!!

Not only did she starting building a nest after I gave her a nest box she started pulling hair....hopefully signs she will be a good mom

Back
Top Bottom