Rabbit Raising?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ShelterGirl, Nov 1, 2011.

1. ShelterGirl

ShelterGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    I am interested in beginning a small project of raising rabbits for meat/fur in the area. I have noticed that it seems no one around here is into raising this beneficial food product, and am looking to gain more information before I try this out. I want to start with one male and two females as breeding pairs, and to then keep the babies and the original parents, but seperate so that there will be no more breeding afterwards.

I also want to do it in a more...humane method than just a careless operation. I want to give them a bit of comfort, but also prevent them from digging out -___- I have two males as it is that are just pets and...phew...

Also, I hear Californian and New Zealand are good breeds to use?

Is anyone else here into raising rabbits? I am also going to sign up to Backyard Herds, but I wanted to see if anyone on here had resources before I signed up there [​IMG]
    Thank you very much!

-Shelter Girl

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have the breeds that you are talking about in addition to other breeds. They are great rabbits. I sell them as well as process them for the fridge. I started off years ago and got my first 2 rabbits from a local breeder in my area. All of them are kept in separate cages. I may breed them once or twice a year. I don't like my girls having babies too often. I like for their bodies to be rested (so to speak)

Here are pics of my set up.

Rabbit House

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rabbits inside the rabbit house in their cages

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I LOVE your feeders. I see things like that and realize how much I suck at using things I own to create things I need.

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Thank you. I love to recycle so I love coming up with new ways to recycle things.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    There is a website called Rabbit Talk that has a section on meat rabbits.

2 does and a buck are called a trio, not pairs.

Californians and New Zealands are the top choices for meat rabbits, but there are several other breeds that work well for the job. Pay attention to where you are buying. Buy from someone knowledgeable who breeds for temperament as well as fast growth and good feed conversion.

Rabbit meat may very well be the best tasting meat of all. It's surprising that it isn't more popular.

6. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Me, too! Me, too!

I am planning to raise rabbits. I remember loving rabbit cooked by Aunt Claris' as a child and have the number of a local rabbit raiser/processor to see if domesticated rabbit is as good (or better).

I just want to get through a year with my chickens first to prove I can do it before I start up a 'new project'. Just collected my first dozen eggs -- Sunday through today.

So now I just have a rescue rabbit, Rusty, that I keep for his manure. I am planning to hang his cage in the chicken coop to keep him warm and dry through the winter. Anyone see problems with this plan?

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Yes, rabbit meat is the best tasting meat of all. [​IMG]

8. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I was over there today posting in the Llama section and didn't think to look at the rabbit threads. Thanks for the reminders.

10. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Quote:Thank you. I love to recycle so I love coming up with new ways to recycle things.

Do you have any problems with predators with no door? I have my buns in an old workshop right now and it's secure (and a little warmer/cooler than the outside temperature in the good direction) it's secure, but it's darker than I would like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by