Rabbit Waterer VS. Poultry nipples

RioLindoAz

Sleeping
13 Years
Jul 8, 2007
Yuma, Arizona
We're going on vacation tomorrow so I need an efficient way to water my flock while I'm gone. My first thought was to install poultry nipples inside the run. It turns out the guy at the feed store didn't know there was such a thing. My original thought was to purchase one of those 2 gallon poultry waterer's that you always see, but since I'm housing a duck with my flock, he will contaminate the water. My next idea is to use a rabbit waterer. I'm planning to hook it up to a two gallon jug and hand it inside the run.

What are the main differences between poultry and rabbit waterer's?

Will a rabbit waterer be able to withstand the pressure of two gallons and will it be too leaky to last a week?

I would really appreciate any answer as soon as possible.

~RLAZ

I have used the rabbit waterers in the brooder, with great results. But if your chickens are unfamiliar with them, they may not know to go peck at the nipple.

It took all of 5 minutes to teach our chicks to use nipples after using a pan for the first couple of weeks. Then when we got more chicks I showed a couple of them where to get water and the rest just copied them.

Quote:
Isn't that lovely.

My favorite is when someone names the thread, "HELP!!!! CHICKEN NIPPLES?!!!"

THere are usually 1 or 2 of those a month. I *heart* it.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom