Rabbit Waterer VS. Poultry nipples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by RioLindoAz, Jul 8, 2010.

1. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    We're going on vacation tomorrow so I need an efficient way to water my flock while I'm gone. My first thought was to install poultry nipples inside the run. It turns out the guy at the feed store didn't know there was such a thing. My original thought was to purchase one of those 2 gallon poultry waterer's that you always see, but since I'm housing a duck with my flock, he will contaminate the water. My next idea is to use a rabbit waterer. I'm planning to hook it up to a two gallon jug and hand it inside the run.

What are the main differences between poultry and rabbit waterer's?

Will a rabbit waterer be able to withstand the pressure of two gallons and will it be too leaky to last a week?

I would really appreciate any answer as soon as possible.

~RLAZ

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have used the rabbit waterers in the brooder, with great results. But if your chickens are unfamiliar with them, they may not know to go peck at the nipple.

3. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    It took all of 5 minutes to teach our chicks to use nipples after using a pan for the first couple of weeks. Then when we got more chicks I showed a couple of them where to get water and the rest just copied them.

4. rchucks

rchucks Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Gardnerville, Nevada
    I just installed a nipple water system and they took to it like a duck takes to water! I'd highly recommend the nipple system.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I like the phrase, "chicken nipples".

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:Isn't that lovely.

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Quote:Isn't that lovely.

My favorite is when someone names the thread, "HELP!!!! CHICKEN NIPPLES?!!!"

THere are usually 1 or 2 of those a month. I *heart* it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by