rabbit waterers for chicks??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joe17, May 30, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
  2. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    I wish I could tell you, but I have no personal experience; however, I have read a post where someone stated, "My chicks learned to drink from their rabbit waterer very easily." That's really all I know. Good luck learning about potential problems.

3. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    thanks!

4. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    You can purchase water nipples specifically for chickens.
    The ones for rabbitts let out quite a bit if water..............don't know hiw that woukd work for babies.
    I do know the ones for rabbits work with a roller.the nes for chickens release water from being pecked.
    Hope someone else responds that has more experience than I do.
    A guy in here sells chicken nipples..Neil .dang, I cannot remember his last name but if you go through the previous threads under nipples,his name is mentioned.
    good Luck

5. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    What does the chicken nipple look like?? Any pics on how it works?

6. Nathan

Nathan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Camas, WA, USA
  7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I use rabbit bottles all the time. I've put bottles and regular water containers in with newly hatched chicks and they'll drink from the bottle before the chick water. The only thing to watch for is not to use too big of bottle with too small of chicks or they may not be able to push the ball. Hamster sized ones work for newly hatched bantams. I have a vid of older chicks choosing a rabbit bottle over a standard waterer. I put the bottle in, went to get the camera, and by the time I got back less than a minute later they had it down. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v244/aqh88/chickens/pen1/?action=view&current=SANY1227.flv

8. HawaiiHorseGirl

HawaiiHorseGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Hawaii
    YES YES YES I LOVE these! My chickens all learned to use them within 15 minutes! I wouldn't expect a brand new chick to use one right away. Wait a week until they are strong and drinking well. They are awesome because there are no messy shavings filled waters to clean!

9. Morag

Morag Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2010
    Moniaive Scotland
    These were taken on the 5th of May this year, my first hatch. I switched to the bottle after the waterer leaked all over the brooder box and soaked everything, they took to it straight away.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. sgtmck1

sgtmck1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Sterling, Ok.
    I put some baby bunnies in with a chick i have in my brooder put the water bottle in for them and thats all the chick drinks out of now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by