themidnightmama

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 3, 2014
We have a small backyard flock of 8 hens and 1 roo. I am thinking of adding a couple of rabbits to the pen. I would build the rabbits their own enclosure in the colony style but they would share the pen with the chickens.
Experienced rabbit keepers, what are the most important features of the hutch? I assume south-facing with plenty of ventilation. What about square feet per rabbit? I use straw for the chicken bedding-is this sufficient for the rabbits too or do they need something else? What about exercise structures? I see lots of cute things on the Internet but what is essential?

I'm interested in this as well other than the food issue I havent found ny other problems. I currently house my brooder and rabbits in the same shed and now two bantam chickens are living there as well.

I have seen chickens housed underneath rabbit cages, but chickens poop on everything, and if they can get on top of the cages, your rabbits will have fur poop coats.

I'm not a fan of colony style rabbit raising because it's too hard to keep track of breeding. Also, rabbits are very territorial and will fight if they don't have enough room or hiding spots. Chickens would likely injure young kits. Mine will kill mice. Baby rabbits are the same size, and does don't stay with their young all day. Rabbits have pretty sensitive systems and they shouldn't be in contact with chicken poo.

I have a chicken with a rabbit outside and when the rabbit gets near the chicken she will peck at the rabbit until it leaves but I have not seen any injuries on either of them

Back
Top Bottom